Xbackup vs itunes backup

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by freshman1771, Feb 19, 2012.

1. freshman1771 macrumors newbie

When a person does a backup using xbackup, and then connects to PC or MAC via itunes, is the new backup that is made on itunes override the backup that we do prior to jailbreaking?

If it does, is that ok? I.e., if we need to restore from backup, will it still work? Or is it different than the one done before jailbreaking?

Thank you

2. grimy macrumors member

xbackup=cydia package/sources backup that uploads to their server AND you can also ssh into your phone and save the backup on your computer.

itunes backup=backup of phone data(everything but cydia/cydia tweaks n apps). When you connect your phone to itunes and it makes a new backup it cannot override xbackup as it is two different things.

3. freshman1771 thread starter macrumors newbie

Actually, I am more worried about xBackup overriding the itunes backup, not the other way around. If you will, the itunes backup is "pure" as in pre jailbreak and I want that to be there in case something goes wrong (e.g., springboard crashes all the time like some users). But at the same time, assuming things are going well, I would like to regularly backup the cydia tweaks and apps etc...

So I would like the itunes backup I made before the JB to remain as is, and also have an xBackup backup. Is it possible that if I connect it to itunes, and it runs a backup, that the new backup will override the last one I made before JB?

I understand I can SSH into the backup and save the data to my computer, but i'd rather not go THAT far if it's not necessary.

Thank you

4. grimy macrumors member

I keep a separate folder of backups prior to jailbreaking along with a a xbackup(although its typically a "tainted" backup in your mind as I have been jailbroken for quite some time now).

Before connecting your iphone to your computer simply make a copy of one of your backups prior to syncing your phone. On my computer(win7) ensure yu have view hidden folders on: C: > Users > Username > Appdata > Roaming > Apple Computer > Mobile Sync > Backup. Copy the folder dated prior to jailbreaking(preferably your most recent one before). It is usually a bunch of random numbers/digits.

When running backups for XBackup it DOES save it on its server each time you backup as long as it is a purchased version(non cracked).