XBLA, PSN Store, WiiWare.. App Store?

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by i0Nic, Sep 6, 2010.

?

Could an App Store on Apple TV disrupt the console gaming market?

1. Yes, Apple could easily control the whole console market

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Yes, Apple could control the casual gaming market

1 vote(s)
    16.7%
  3. Apple could be an even player in casual gaming

3 vote(s)
    50.0%
  4. No, Apple has never been about gaming and never will

2 vote(s)
    33.3%
  5. I'm not sure.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. i0Nic macrumors 65816

So I've been thinking about the Apple TV and what it could mean for console gaming should Apple release the App Store on this device.

Apple TV
    $99
    Internet connected
    No subscription fee
    Upcoming.. App Store

This could be the perfect trojan device for Apple to enter, and potentially disrupt, the console gaming market. In particular, it could overtake the downloadable stores of the console makers such as XBLA, PSN and WiiWare.

The device is cheaper and more accessible than any of the consoles, games would be cheap, there is brand recognition of Apple as well as established games such as Angry Birds and there are tonnes of controllers out there in iPhones and iPod touches.

Do you think Apple could really disrupt this market should it release an App Store for the Apple TV?

I've written a blog post about it if you'd like to read more – http://nxtgn.tumblr.com/post/1078584913/how-apple-could-disrupt-the-console-gaming-market-with

2. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

The new Apple TV has no onboard flash storage. It also has no USB port. How is it supposed to compete with those other devices? There's also no way it has the processing power to compete with the Xbox 360 and PS3. You add in the lack of any control other than the basic Apple Remote and you have little to no chance of a successful platform for anything other than video, music and pictures. I bought an Xbox 360 Arcade for $150, and you can get a newer model now or soon with a 4GB HDD and built-in WiFi for $200. You add a $10 Windows Media remote and you've got something WAY better than Apple TV.

3. macfan881 macrumors 68020

Yes with Game Center this has the chance at competing with 360 and PS3/steam etc and now that Unreal engine is ported to the iOS Gaming on the i Devices have no where to go but up.

4. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

You're not on Twitter here, sentences!

Right. No I don't think they could compete. Maybe in the casual market but then it would be up against the Wii which I don't think anyone can do just yet.

5. Dr McKay macrumors 68040

Dr McKay

With this downloadable market, Microsoft and Sony have gotten it pretty well zipped up. Im not sure about the Wii as I havent really seen it online.

But Microsoft have done big deals with Sega and such, and are porting all of their games to the arcade store. Several gems which make Angry Birds profits look like chump change are available. And Sony have PS1 games available on demand.

I don't think Apple even wants to be a player in the Gaming Industry, not the big one anyways. They are a big competitor in the handheld industry though.

Maybe if Apple launched a console it might make some headway, but launching at this stage would be tricky, it has to forge friendships with developers, get deals cut with them. Last time Apple attempted a push into gaming, they let Halo slip through their fingers.