XBMC Working?

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by ParagJain, Oct 11, 2013.

1. ParagJain macrumors 6502

Is XBMC working on Mavericks, seems to be broken on my iMac; :confused:

2. activate macrumors regular

Gotham is but there are instabilities.

3. ParagJain thread starter macrumors 6502

Hi, is anyone able to get the XBMC software work with Mav's; I am still struggling to get it working. It just crashes at launch.

thanks for any help over here...

4. MagnusVonMagnum macrumors 601

MagnusVonMagnum

I recommend you run XBMC "Eden" instead. It never stopped working.

Frodo is broken in Mavericks and from what I've seen (as usual) from the developers, they don't give a crap and they make no bones about it. From their POV, it's YOUR fault for upgrading OSX and you and everyone else shouldn't have jumped on that bus so soon. In fact, at least one of the developers there has said that for years. But OSX is updated OFTEN. It's fine to keep old Windows versions for a decade (cough, XP), but much software DUMPS support for older versions of OSX very quickly and besides, the new multi-monitor support features are worth upgrading alone. Besides, I use XBMC on my AppleTV units, not my server machine and most of them are still running Eden (since using Frodo would mean having to plug in a USB disc to avoid losing my Apple interface).

In any case, I wouldn't expect a "fix" for Frodo any time soon (i.e. you can try a nightly of Gotham, but you can expect a ton of other bugs at any given moment with alpha/betas). They simply don't care that it's broken and have no intention of fixing it in a stable release except when Gotham is finally released, which could be some time from now. Ironically, all the plugin developers dumped support for Eden (I guess they jumped on that upgrade bus too soon, eh? ;) ) and now that Frodo is broken, well too bad, I guess. :D

XBMC doesn't work with SMB2 properly either (at least older verisons of XBMC). Again, that's YOUR fault for not using an OS that has Samba support. Their AFP support is buggered, though, so that either leaves the Unix/Linux NFS protocol (set it up via command line or get a program to do it for you) or using SMBUp to install Samba3 to your computer (which will preempt SMB2, which is a bad thing in the future since Apple is going to dump AFP in the long run). Sadly, every time I reboot, OSX turns Samba3 off and SMB2 back on and I have to manually stop SMB2 and restart Samba3, but then it works fine with XBMC again.