Xbmc

Discussion in 'iPad Hacks' started by L2gbrian, Jul 14, 2011.

1. L2gbrian, Jul 14, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2011

L2gbrian macrumors member

Just wanna say XBMC is EffeN!!! Awesome. Connect my camera kit to the iPad and watch all my movies that are in avi, mkv, etc.... So far I've tested it with the sd cards next will be USB flash drives and external hd's. Will post a vid tomorrow. No more ifile with vlc, xplayer, oplayer, and cinexplayer. XBMC does it all plays very clean and the sound is amazing. BTW need to be jailbroken to install XBMC

Instructions
    http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Install_XBMC_on_iPhone/iPad

Once install have to manually add the path "/var/mnt". Just touch the path <none> in the " add the video source " don't add the " when entering the path.

Plug camera connection kit with sd card make sure it's formatted to fat32 and add your movies. Open XBMC click video click files open mnt or mount or whatever you named it and hit a movie you wanna play... Done deal

2. mrlowkey macrumors member

Yes way way faster than using pre-xbmc method of plugging in cck sd/ ifile/video player...tat took ages esp for 1gb+ video file to load into say avplayerhd etc

With xbmc...same huge file tool less than 10secs to load fm ext sdhc

Killer app imho..very practical on the go

3. SleeplessJedi macrumors newbie

Just installed XBMC from Cydia recently and I'm having some difficulties with navigating in the UI.

Is there a specific gesture to scroll in the main menu?
    I can't seem to use a flick to scroll between options. For example, how do I scroll from 'Weather' to 'Settings' in a fast manner?

For the time being, I'm choosing each option from weather to programs to get to settings.

4. lavrishevo macrumors 68000

lavrishevo

The touch UI skin has not been released yet.

5. toxotis70 macrumors member

toxotis70

I tried to play from an SD card 8GB class 10, a video .mkv 720p but it stutters too much.
    Its almost unusable... anyone else tried to play 720p mkv with XMBC from SD ?

6. Siggen macrumors 6502

Nevver THE less, you can still download it from here:

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?t=105142

Its not completed, but its working splendidly.

7. Siggen macrumors 6502

Try copy it to the flash of the iPad and see if it stutters. Then we know more about the problem.

8. DN7335 macrumors 6502

I'm not clear, is the big draw of XBMC the fact that it can play movies from an SD card? I have a 64GB iPad 2 and I use AVPlayerHD which works great, trying to figure out what XBMC offers that AVPlayer doesn't.

9. skyfreedom macrumors member

Icefilms

"I'm not clear, is the big draw of XBMC the fact that it can play movies from an SD card? I have a 64GB iPad 2 and I use AVPlayerHD which works great, trying to figure out what XBMC offers that AVPlayer doesn't. "

One word... ICEFILMS addon!:D

10. Josh125, Jul 14, 2011

Josh125 macrumors 6502

Josh125

Are you using iFile to install the zip file or SSH'ing into it? This is very exciting given the ATV has a hard time with 720P videos. The iPad 2 shouldn't have such problems with its A5. Now the wait for a JB iOS5 becomes even longer with it's AirPlay capabilities.

11. Siggen macrumors 6502

I have safari download manager installed, download the zip, and install them with a button in XBMC which says install from zip or something

12. Mac.World macrumors 68000

Mac.World

Trying to figure out why I would need xbmc. I can load the entire season of Spartacus in avi or mkv format onto my iPad 2 in under 60 seconds and play them perfectly. Once done watching an episode I can delete the episode in 2 clicks. Oh yeah, and if I need subtitles, got that covered.

How is xmbc better? Please explain.

And of course, with iFile, I can carry several gb worth of data on an SD card and load into my home directory on the go should I need to.

13. Josh125 macrumors 6502

Josh125

Just as skyfreedom said......ICEFilms.

14. Mac.World macrumors 68000

Mac.World

Big whoop. Might as well say that AVPlayer has Piratebay addon.

Again, still not seeing the attraction of xbmc on the iPad, other than the hassel of trying to get it loaded and then used on the iPad. It's far from user friendly.

15. kvizzel macrumors 6502a

As easy as this.

Don't use it.

It's all about preference.

16. DN7335 macrumors 6502

Ok I'll bite, what is ICEFilms and why do I need it?

17. JSalig, Jul 14, 2011

JSalig macrumors 6502

Ever heard of Netflix? Hulu? Why does anyone need to bother with those apps if all they need to do is pirate some files off a home computer and place them on a sd card?

It's all about convenience and instant gratification. XBMC is just one more option among many. If you don't see a need for it, don't install it. Simple stuff.

18. Mac.World macrumors 68000

Mac.World

I asked why xbmc is better than say, AVPlayer. There has yet to be a single reason given. Meanwhile, I have given several reasons why it isn't. Installation is a bit painful and the UI sucks.

I find it hard to believe anyone would even suggest xbmc in it's current form!

19. mcarthon macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Not everyone has 64 gb of space it's maximizes the space on the iPad with portable data duh. If that first apply to you them stop wasting your time looking for an answer we don't have. Try it your dn self if you want to know so badly.

20. JSalig macrumors 6502

Yapping about which video player is better is just plain silly when there are so many of them out there. Who cares? I have AVPlayer, VLC, Zumocast, XBMC, Airvideo etc. I use all interchangeably depending on which player handles a particular video best. Stick with the one that works best for you and use it rather than trying to pick meaningless arguments with those who happen to enjoy other players.

21. sampath macrumors newbie

Thanks for the heads up. Was using the PM3 skin before and while it was usable, this is much better and working fine.

22. crazycap, Jul 22, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2011

crazycap macrumors member

1. XBMC does 720p mkv perfectly fine on my ipad 1
    2. XBMC does 720p mkv perfectly smooth through smb share over local wifi... Try that on AVPlayer
    3. XBMC can read movie files directly on SD card or USB with the CC kit, perfect for those with a 16GB. YES directly! did you say you have to load it to your Home directory?? poor you
    4. XBMC downloads subtitles on the fly with its plugin
    5. XBMC can adjust subtitles offset as well as audio for the out of sync movies.
    6. XBMC can have a movie wall for you whole movie collection, with a lot of awesome fan made posters. It fetches all this data automatically from imdb and the like
    7. XBMC UI doesn't suck, it's made for pointer/keyboard device. Touch skin is still under developed
    8. XBMC's installation is a breeze, in fact, two click in ifile. You download the .deb and click install

yup there's a lot of XBMC in this post

23. mrlowkey macrumors member

+1 for crazycap...especially Pt#3 for me...fast fast loading times

24. L2gbrian thread starter macrumors member

25. starbai macrumors member

starbai

anyone have any idea when the touch interface will be ready?

I am looking for a DLNA player for the ipad that can stream stuff from my desktop to the ipad... and o far XBMC seems like what everyone recommends... but i find the interface to be rediculiously hard to navigate.