Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dronecatcher

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 17, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
I'm testing XBMC's abilities for playing HD video and so far have found version 11 works better on my 12" 1.33 PB under Tiger than it does under Leopard on my 15" 1.25 PB. I've read that version 9 is optimal for Tiger but can't find the download anywhere (only 10 & 11) - does anyone have a link?

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
That's fantastic! Thanks :D
No problem!

The thing about devs is they tend to develop filenaming conventions and list version histories online. Once you know what exact version number you're looking for, you can copy an existing filename and input your numbers in the same convention then do another Google search.

In this case, version 10 is the last they list on their site: xbmc-10.0-ppc.dmg

I found their version history first and before switching to 10, the last version listed was 9.11.

So, I did a Google search for this: xbmc-9.11-ppc.dmg

And there you go. Glad I could help. :D

Dronecatcher

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 17, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
No problem!

The thing about devs is they tend to develop filenaming conventions and list version histories online. Once you know what exact version number you're looking for, you can copy an existing filename and input your numbers in the same convention then do another Google search.

In this case, version 10 is the last they list on their site: xbmc-10.0-ppc.dmg

I found their version history first and before switching to 10, the last version listed was 9.11.

So, I did a Google search for this: xbmc-9.11-ppc.dmg

And there you go. Glad I could help. :D

Great detective work! I should have thought of that - I'm getting rusty...and a little too impatient ;)

cmstuber

macrumors newbie
May 6, 2015
I'm curious to know your findings. I'm currently compiling xbmc frodo for mintppc on a 466 clamshell with hope of getting plexbmc to work. I'm going to compare to osx 10.4 and see (which I learned today was supported, i thought only leopard was supported). But just so you know... it takes FOREVER to compile xbmc. I think I'm on hour 9...? Only make install is left.

128keaton

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2013
I'm curious to know your findings. I'm currently compiling xbmc frodo for mintppc on a 466 clamshell with hope of getting plexbmc to work. I'm going to compare to osx 10.4 and see (which I learned today was supported, i thought only leopard was supported). But just so you know... it takes FOREVER to compile xbmc. I think I'm on hour 9...? Only make install is left.

I remember doing this on linux. Dang!

Dronecatcher

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 17, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK

I've found under Tiger, the XBMC interface is a little glitchy - it doesn't hang or crash just occasionally responds strangely, however not enough to put you off using it and of the two, version 11 is more stable.
In regard to performance, on the machines I tested it on, a 12" 1.33 PB and 12" 1.33 iB, version 11 is superior - in fact I've been surprised by XBMC, in a lot of cases it performed better than my other standbys VLC & mplayer.
I'll do a thread soon with the example files I tried out, including 1080p files that are just crazy to see working on a Powerbook!

cmstuber

macrumors newbie
May 6, 2015
I did manage to compile XBMC 12 Frodo on the clamshell. (it took about 24hours to build) It ran but with considerable lag and I had some problems with addons, it wouldn't let me install any of them and would only give me errors. I couldn't even change the skin. I'm interested in compiling 11, 10, and/or 9 as well.

I'm also curious about version 9.04 which I can't seem to find a link for anywhere since I found a thread of someone getting 9.04 on a g3 to run in 4.11. With 9.11 there are a few more dylibs that I grew impatient trying to dig through.

My goal would be to get the PleXBMC plugin to work. But in the meantime I found a system that works for me. I just access my server using afp and play video through mplayer. After I've watched them, I just color code them.

Dronecatcher

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 17, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
I did manage to compile XBMC 12 Frodo on the clamshell. (it took about 24hours to build) It ran but with considerable lag and I had some problems with addons, it wouldn't let me install any of them and would only give me errors. I couldn't even change the skin. I'm interested in compiling 11, 10, and/or 9 as well.

It might be an ongoing struggle - even on the official OS X versions, they can be a little buggy and don't like particular hardware - my 1.33 iBook can't run v 11, all the menus are corrupted/scrambled.

teymur

macrumors newbie
May 28, 2015
I don't think that this is a problem of xmbc 11 + ibook G4 in general but rather concerning the skin. I also had scrambled menues on my 12" iBook G4, but changing the skin from the standard one to "Quartz" solved the issue. It also looks nicer ;)

Dronecatcher

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 17, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
I don't think that this is a problem of xmbc 11 + ibook G4 in general but rather concerning the skin. I also had scrambled menues on my 12" iBook G4, but changing the skin from the standard one to "Quartz" solved the issue. It also looks nicer ;)

Thanks, I'll give that a go. I thought seeing as version 11 worked ok on my Powerbooks, it must be an issue with the iBook Radeon 9550.

Dronecatcher

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 17, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK

Bingo! Thanks teymur :D Quartz works a treat and no doubt saves a few CPU cycles as well with it's uncluttered interface - I've installed it on all my machines now.

netsrot39

macrumors 6502
Feb 7, 2018
Austria
It is 2020 now and I'm also looking for version 9. Sadly the link from eyoungren is dead now. Would anyone mind sharing version 9 (and possibly earlier ones) here? I want to improve playback on my Tiger machines and have something compatible for Panther as well.

Cancelled
Sep 3, 2016
It is 2020 now and I'm also looking for version 9. Sadly the link from eyoungren is dead now. Would anyone mind sharing version 9 (and possibly earlier ones) here? I want to improve playback on my Tiger machines and have something compatible for Panther as well.

Yanno, I don't think in recent memory, ever coming across a thread where @eyoungren could not find a link. It's a secret super power I think.

netsrot39

macrumors 6502
Feb 7, 2018
Austria
Thanks for posting XBMC version 9.11. Unfortunately it is supposedly the Intel version, the PowerPC version was labelled differently and had "ppc" in its filename. So I'm still looking for version 9 for PowerPC. After some hunting yesterday night, I've found even older builds which can still be accessed to this day. I believe they are universal binaries, I have to try them in the next couple of days once I got time.

These are the even earlier builds I've found:

Code:
http://s3.amazonaws.com/OSXBMC_Host/OSXBMC-0.5.0b4.dmg
http://s3.amazonaws.com/OSXBMC_Host/OSXBMC-v0.5.0b6.dmg
http://s3.amazonaws.com/OSXBMC_Host/OSXBMC-v0.5.0b8.dmg
http://s3.amazonaws.com/OSXBMC_Host/OSXBMC-v0.5.0b9.dmg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.