Xbox 360(2) HDDVD

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by waloshin, Oct 11, 2009.

1. waloshin macrumors 68040

waloshin

As hddvd is dead I think it would be a great idea for Microsoft to use the hddvd medium for the next gen Xbox. The reason is because it would be cheap, larger space and they would not have to develop anything new.

2. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Your suggestions have been noted.

Sincerely,
    Bill Gates

3. waloshin thread starter macrumors 68040

waloshin

Excellent!

4. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Implementing dead tech is a bad idea. It might be better to concede defeat and just use blu-ray.

5. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Using (I guess it could be called) proprietary tech is a good way to keep physical media piracy down. It halted Gamecube piracy for a good while.

6. Luigi239 macrumors 6502a

Sure, but it keeps costs high.

If Microsoft used HD-DVD, then they would have to create their own drives, own presses, own discs, etc because nobody else is making them. If / when they use Bluray, everybody is making the equipment necessary for the technology so it would be much cheaper.

7. jake.f macrumors 6502

I think they will have a HD-DVD compatible drive for the next xbox but won't use it right away.

8. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

The pirates always win though, so why go through the added expense and hassle of using a proprietary format when you know it's going to be cracked anyways?

Besides, I think pirates have already figured out HD-DVD.

9. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

So just because they eventually get hacked they shouldn't at least try to protect their profits/income?

Well yea, but because of the lack of HD-DVD burners piracy would be reduced. Piracy for both PS1 and Xbox never kicked off round my neck of the woods until people had their own CD-RW and DVD-RW respectively.

10. The Californian macrumors 68040

The Californian

Wouldn't it be the XBox 720? Or did they stop using those numbering systems with the Nintendo 64? ;)