XBox 360 and an external hard drive?

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by N16K NE, Mar 2, 2010.

1. N16K NE macrumors member

Hi,

I've got a MacBook, and download movies from the internet. Formats are often .avi .mkv .mp4 etc. However, when I plug an external harddrive into my XBox, these are not recognised...???

Please let me know what to do - really want to watch movies/tv shows on the TV Screen rather than the Mac screen.

Chers, Nick.

2. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

To play some types of files on the Xbox 360 you need to download a free update from Xbox live. This should be done automatically when you try to play a file.

3. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Alternatively if both your 360 & mac are on the same network. Why not use Nullriver's Connect360 and stream the content directly from your mac to your 360.

4. N16K NE thread starter macrumors member

`I have now got this prompt. I had to reformat a hard drive to FAT32. Now, I have got this update prompt - however I do not have LIVE, and am not connected to the internet on my Xbox. Do I need to be inorder to update?

Cheers for your help!

5. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

Yes you do need to be connected to Live, but you can use a Silver Account which is free. Temporarily plug your xbox into your router via ethernet is probably the easiest option, as it requires the least set-up.