Xbox 360 and iMac on a KVM switch

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by rust.puppet, Jan 27, 2009.

1. rust.puppet macrumors regular

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1185180&CatId=202

im not 100% sure this is the right area to post this in but i have a 15 or so inch hp lcd monitor i wanted to use as a second screen for my imac via vga, so i was wondering if that kvm switch would alow me to have this setup

imac - (vga adapter) - \
    Kvm switch - moniter and surround sound
    xbox 360 - (vga adapter) /

and the second part is... it says it is powered by bus

does that mean it would be powered by the moniters or what?

is that a bad idea? will it strain my imac or what.

if it's not a good idea please offer alternatives if possible. thanks.

2. Mathemology macrumors newbie

Sure, that'll work, but you don't really specify your audio setup. Basically that switch takes audio in a 1/8" (headphone-size) jack which then 360 won't mesh well with. Are you using the KVM switch for audio switching also?

Maybe you have a 5.1 setup with changeable inputs...? For instance, I have a Klipsch 5.1 system with multiple inputs that are switchable between optical, composite, and digital coax.

Oh, and powered by bus means that it is pulling power elsewhere, eliminating the need for a power adapter. You monitor will be fine. These things don't need much power, if any, to operate. It's just a switch.

3. gumbyx84 macrumors 6502

gumbyx84