Xbox 360 and Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by Aranince, May 4, 2009.

1. Aranince macrumors 65816

So I'm considering buying an Xbox 360 and have it setup in my room.

I have speakers that I want to use for both my computer and xbox without having to switch around the wires every time I switch devices. The speakers use the 1/8" TRS jack while the Xbox would use RCA or S/PDIF. How can I plug the audio from the xbox into my Macbook Pro(Unibody) so I don't have to move wires around? I probably need a toslink cable and a connector like this? Do I need to do anything special to tell my computer to spit out the input sound?

Secondly...I can use my MBP as the wireless hub for the Xbox through the ethernet port and "share internet" settings right? Can I use a normal ethernet cable or do I need to get a crossover cable?

2. Yagan Kiely macrumors newbie

Yagan Kiely

I used the Ethernet cable that came with the 360 (I got a 360Pro, not Arcade).

I used this guide, I found it quite easy to follow especially with the pictures.

This (and this) were also helpful for some parts.

3. Aranince thread starter macrumors 65816

Well...after doing a ton of research, there is no real viable way to setup my sound system without having to spend $100+. So what I decided to do is just buy some good headphones for the Xbox, and connect them to the controller like in this guide.

I'll use my MBP as my wireless hub to save me $100 on the wireless adapter.

EDIT: Crap....headset is only for player chat not ingame sound.

4. ericsthename macrumors regular

Ohhh!

I have done this already and it is actually fairly simple!

what you will need: an RCA to headphone adapter - radioshack $2

Free utility called Linein

Basically, you connect the 360's RCA cables to the "Y" adapter, and then plug that into your microphone input on your MacBook Pro. You then open up Linein and tell it to "pass thru" - it then pushes all the signal from linein to lineout, whichever source you choose. It all sounds complicated, but in fact is quite simple. Total cost = whatever you pay for the dinky cable adapter - I had one kicking around the house.