Xbox 360 Connected to my Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by TheJester21, Jul 14, 2010.

1. TheJester21 macrumors newbie

First I don't know where this kind of topic belongs, but I'm new here as you can see, and I just would like to receive help for this problem of mine.

Alright, I get very confused when it comes to stuff like networking and I'm trying to get Xbox Live working by using my Verizon Wireless 5GB card plugged into my laptop and then connecting that with a ethernet cable into a port on the Xbox. I'm not sure if it's going to work but I'm going to try. ( as mobile broadband I heard is slower for things like online multiplayer.)

http://www.joystiq.com/2006/07/17/how-to-share-your-macs-internet-connection-with-your-xbox/

I've followed these steps precisely however I don't think they apply to people with a wireless card but rather a wireless router ( which I'm not using. )

So I'm not sure what to internet share ( my mobile connection or airport) and what settings I should manually set for the Xbox ( The DNS, I.P. addresses, Gateway)

I would appreciate somebody who has been in this unique situation before to help me out step by step or link me a better explanation of this. Thanks.

2. TheJester21 thread starter macrumors newbie

3. MacKeeperFanMod macrumors regular

MacKeeperFanMod

On your Mac

connecting with the Internet via your Verizon Wireless 5GB card

without comments

here, we allow our Ethernet connection to use the Internet from Wi-fi connection

On your Xbox 360

your Macbook Pro in Ethernet connection has ip (it you should get using command "ifconfig en0" - in this manual it's 192.168.2.1)
    and your Xbox 360 should be ip address with different last value (in this manual it's 192.168.2.2), to Macbook Pro and Xbox 360 had a different ip address.

is suitable for you

Here we specify where to send packets from Xbox 360.
    All they have to go to the Mac Book. (in this manual it's 192.168.2.1)

DNS server is your wi-fi card.
    So here you have to write ip address of Wi-fi card ( in this manual it's router 192.168.0.1 )
    "ifconfig en0" will give information about ethernet card.

Sorry for my bad English.:eek:
    Questions:)

4. TheJester21 thread starter macrumors newbie

Alright, on my terminal I'm getting the I.P. address "inet 72.102.20.56" and when my ethernet internet sharing is turned on, I'm getting both inet 192.168.2.1 and the inet 72.102.20.56 in the terminal when I type "ifconfig en0"

When I look at my Verizon card's IP address which is 72.102.130.38, I put that as my DNS servers on the Xbox Network settings. I'm confused on which I.P. address to use for IP settings on the Xbox.

I appreciate the help and I think with a little more, I can this all to work.

5. MacKeeperFanMod macrumors regular

MacKeeperFanMod

So you started internet sharing of wifi connection.
    And when introduced into the terminal ifconfig en0 received - "inet 192.168.2.1 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 192.168.2.255" - true?

Then on the xbox, set
    IP: 192.168.2.2
    Mask: 255.255.255.0
    Router / Gateway: 192.168.2.1

DNS Configuration: Manual
    Type "dig" in terminal.app and after a bunch of text scrolls by, you'll have a line starting with "SERVER" near the bottom, the IP address in that line is the DNS server your computer is using, so you can enter the same in the xbox settings.
    PPPoE Settings: Off
    Advanced: Automatic

And then if the ethernet connection will be able to get Internet from Wi-fi connectivity - everything should work!