Xbox 360 > External HDD < iTunes?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by adom, Dec 13, 2008.

1. adom macrumors 6502

Hello,

Im in need of help of what the topic says. I would like to have a way of storing my music and movies on an external HDD. Currently I have everything saved on my Alu iMac - but I'de like to consolodate it all to external.

However, I would like to have a senario which would also allow my Xbox 360 to access the media - so that I can play the videos on my new Sony Bravia.

The ideal scenario is:

Xbox 360 --> which can stream media from <-- External HDD --> which can be read / written to by <-- iTunes on my iMac

Currently I have been dabbling with a trial copy of Connect360, which allows me to steam from iMac to Xbox, and thus my TV. But I'de like to cut the computer out of the equation, so that I can be gaming on my Xbox and flick straight to a movie saved on the external HDD; but on the flip side be able to play all the same media on my iMac when I want to too.

Is this possible? Can I connect the external HDD to 2 devices? (bearing in mind they usually only have a USB 2 port on the back?) I think its a basically a kind of media server idea - of which I now nothing about :p

Any advice would be greatly appreciated as I cannot find a direct answer to this combination of problems!

Thanks and happy holidays :D

2. old-wiz macrumors G3

Connecting one hard disk to two different computers via usb at the same time is not going to work. The software has no way to coordinate the read/write. When two applications run together on a computer and access the same hard disk, the operating system has full control of managing disk space and files. If two computers try to do that to one external hard disk it would be a total mess. One side could create a file at the same time the other side does and the hard disk would become scrambled.