Xbox 360: Is the Elite worth it?

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by RL600, Nov 18, 2007.

1. RL600 macrumors member

Looking at buying an Xbox 360 to occupy some downtime when I'm actually not at school or working. I work so much that sometimes when I'm actually not working I'm already too tired to go out, so I think I've decided an xbox 360 might be something fun to do when I want to stay in, but still have something to do (other than watch TV, which sucks IMO).

So you all with elites. Is it worth the extra HDD space? I believe it comes with the HDMI cables, which are about $49 right? So the rest of the money to buy the elite ($50?? more?) is it worth the extra space?

All without elites. Why didn't you buy an elite? Other than them not being available at the time you bought yours, and if they were available at the time would you have bought one instead?

One big + for me with the elite is that its black. It'll blend in good with my TV, stand, and all the other boxes down there.

Fast responses would be appreciated, looking at buying one soon before I cant find one due to early Christmas shoppers. Who knows, maybe I'll buy one tonight.

PS: I will be covering it with every Apple sticker that I am currently not using. :apple:

Thanks.

Reid.

2. NAG macrumors 68030

NAG

It isn't worth it. You can get pretty much all the components to upgrade a lower sku to the same level for less.

3. RL600 thread starter macrumors member

Sounds good. Thanks!

I actually just got back from Xbox 360 hunting. The mix of christmas shopping and sunday store hours made my night to be a fail. :mad:

4. rtdgoldfish macrumors 6502a

rtdgoldfish

Seeing as all the new 360s now ship with HDMI, the Elite isn't as much of a big deal as it was when it first shipped.

HDMI aside, I sold my Premium and got an Elite when they came out. I love the extra drive space (I've gotten sucked into FFXI so that takes up a whole lot of room). Plus the black color is really nice and matches my TV and all the electronics in my entertainment center.

5. mosx macrumors 65816

Don't forget the Video Marketplace.

And most importantly, the "Xbox Originals" service that'll be coming out soon.

You'll be able to buy and download original Xbox games to your 360's HDD.

6. NAG macrumors 68030

NAG

You can get the hard drives separate. The added space in the Elite is kind of moot.

7. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

It certainly is not 1337 if thats what your asking:D

8. Martin C macrumors 6502a

Martin C

9. AJsAWiz macrumors 68040

AJsAWiz

360 Elite + Airport Extreme

Is anyone having problems connecting their X Box 360 to their wireless airport network?

I just got an Elite but previously had problems with the X Box connecting to my airport extreme network. Everything connected (iMac, iBook, Wii, PS 3, DS, PSP) except the X Box. I wanted to know of other people's experience with it before opening the box. ;)

Oops, never mind I found 4 solutions. Disable security, remove "n" compatibility or connect the 360 to an airport express used as a bridge, connect 360 to ethernet port on the back of the Airport Extreme. I chose the last option which works quite well.

I also read that a recent firmware update fixes this issue. Not sure about that last one though.

10. luftwaffles08 macrumors newbie

I got an Elite right before they added in the new heat sink and it's been treating me quite nicely. I know that now, the HDMI port and the color are basically moot, but look at it this way. The cost of a Premium 360 + an 120 gb HD is going to put you past the cost of an Elite alone. When I do demos or anything else, I don't even think about the space they're taking up. It's just a nice feeling where you really can't run out of room unless you're really trying to fill it.

11. Adokimus macrumors 6502a

Adokimus

Go Elite

If you want to use the 360 only for games, probably not worth it unless you download your games. If you want to use the 360 additionally as a media hub in the likes of :apple:tv, then the elite is well worth it. Mainly, the cost of the HDMI xbox + HDMI cable + 120GB HDD = MUCH more than if you just buy the elite. And the black color, though this is a personal preference, looks much more professional in an entertainment center. Plus, for what it's worth, I believe they have a lower failure rate, but don't quote me on that. I love my elite.

Go elite,

Ado

12. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

I just got an elite for the little flopticalcubes this Christmas. I do think the color looks better but that is a personal choice. I tried to find a Falcon one but could only find Zephyr models. Hopefully the new heatsinks will save me from the RRoD. I had also heard that the elites used better/selected components but that could just be more internet waffle.

13. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Managed to get a Falcon and swapped the Zephyr for it! Its much cooler but about the same noise level. Hopefully they are more reliable now.

14. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

^ out of interest is there an easy way to check if you have zephyr or falcon ? Especially before you purchase ?

15. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

I used 360drives.com and deduced that anything after lot 738 was a Falcon. I have an Elite lot 741 Team CSON and sure enough its a Falcon (175W power supply). Lot and Team are listed on a sticker on the outside of the box.

16. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU