Xbox 360, Macbook, Connect360

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by macforlife1987, Jul 25, 2008.

1. macforlife1987 macrumors newbie

I just received my 360 today and would like to get xbox live configured. I have read and read and read some more about the process but its like reading chinese it really is.

I got as far as my ip address being confirmed but with dns I did not have a clue. I dont even know what Im doing.

Ok so I have my macbook and 360 hooked up with an ethernet cable and Im trying to connect to my router which is a bt home hub - 9165 which sits downstairs next to the phone.

I have installed connect360. Thats when I got lost. I dont know squat about setting ip addresses. I tried to understand as much info that was posted here but its just not getting through to me.

If someone could help me it would really be appreciated. Im signed into msn messenger at the minute. My email is hendrixx@live.co.uk

In the meantime I will give it another go.

2. J@ffa macrumors 6502a

J@ffa

Connect360 has nothing to do with XBox Live — I think that's where you're getting confused. It's for sharing music, movies and photos to an XBox 360 in a sort of iTunes -> Apple TV way.

Basically, you need to forget about the MacBook. The XBox needs to connect to the BT HomeHub somehow. Either connect ethernet directly from the HomeHub to the ethernet port on the XBox 360, or if you can't do that, use wireless (if your HomeHub supports it). You'll need to buy Microsoft's wireless add-on for the 360 if you want to go down this route. Ethernet is easier though, and a lot easier to test. It should just pick up the settings by itself, but post back if you have any trouble at that point.

3. macforlife1987 thread starter macrumors newbie

But why can I not just connect my ethernet cable to my macbook and use it's internet connection to connect to my hub.

4. davidjearly macrumors 68020

davidjearly

I think the OP is looking for a method to share his wireless signal that is being received by the MacBook over ethernet to the XBox 360. This is probably because the BT HomeHub router is too far away for a direct ethernet connection and because he does not want to shell out the cash for the much overpriced wireless adapter for the XBox.

Here's the good news, it can be done. The numbers you have to input just varies between router's and ISP's.

OP: Have a look here. This worked for me.

5. macforlife1987 thread starter macrumors newbie

That tutorial was exellent. I had no problems with it at all. Im just after watching an avi movie on the 360.

One final question but, I can view anything I have on the mac on my 360 but how exactly do I transfer movies and photos. I really want to store a few movies on the 360's hd.

6. bigrell486 macrumors 6502

bigrell486

Music is stored by placing audio CD's into the drive.
    Videos are only stored if they are purchased for the Xbox Live Marketplace.
    Pictures aren't stored.

7. macforlife1987 thread starter macrumors newbie

Everything is going great but Ive been trying to play fifa world cup online since last night and it will not work. It keeps trying to connect but says ea servers are unavailable please try again later.

Is there something I am not doing right.

8. davidjearly macrumors 68020

davidjearly

If you can get online in other games ok, I would assume the problem is indeed with EA's servers. Otherwise, make sure your internet connection is good (on your Mac), and re-check you haven't missed anything in the wireless settings on the XBox.

Glad you found the tutorial helpful. :)