XBox 360 + MacBook on Same Monitor

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by BothBarsOn, Feb 14, 2008.

1. BothBarsOn macrumors regular

Wasn't sure whether to post this in Games or here, hope I chose the right one ...

If I've understood some other threads correctly, I can hook up an XBox 360 (via VGA) and a Macbook (via DVI) to the same monitor, provided it has both ports, of course.

I was wondering: how does that work in terms of switching? Would it be as simple as "XBox powered on, MacBook powered off" for gaming and vice versa for computing? And, just out of curiosity, if both the XBox and the MacBook were powered on, which would take preference, signal-wise?

I hope these aren't silly questions ... Thanks in advance.

2. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

You don't even need to power down one. Like on a TV you simply just choose the input source on the monitor, (usually a button on the monitor) and switch back and forth.

3. DarthTreydor macrumors 6502

i have a similar setup (except with a mac pro instead of a macbook) and i have them both hooked up with VGA via a $10 KVM switch. it has buttons on it to switch back and forth between them.

4. BothBarsOn thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the speedy replies! Much appreciated.

5. MinorBidoh macrumors 6502

MinorBidoh

This is definitely the way forward in terms of setup: laptop; games console; and one (hopefully) large screen to enjoy both on. Clean, simple and refined.

The difficult area is find a decent hi-fi/sound system with two inputs sources that can change as easily as the screen. Is this system anywhere?

6. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

You can get audio switches easily enough. Visit Radio Shack.

7. MinorBidoh macrumors 6502

MinorBidoh

you have made my month chief. thanks.