XBOX 360 Options for HDMI output

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by irishgrizzly, Aug 28, 2009.

1. irishgrizzly macrumors 65816

irishgrizzly

I've currently got a older 360 and use a VGA cable to output to a 27" Dell monitor. I send the audio via the optical to a separate speaker. I'm thinking of getting an new 360 with HDMI output.

What are peoples experiences with using HDMI when they are sending to a separate speaker? I heard you have to use the VGA cable for this.

Also is there a noticeable quality difference going from VGA to HDMI?

Thanks

2. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

If your getting a new 360, try and get one of the older Elites, as they come with an optical box for sending optical audio out at the same time as HDMI.

If you don't get one of those, then you can use an old 360 component cable. By removing the lower casing of the cable connector (the part that goes into the 360) you can fit HDMI cable in at the same time. The 360 will default to hdmi, and you can use the old cable's optical connector to output sound.

To be honest the only reason to use HDMI over VGA as far as I have found - is if your source only has HDMI.

You wont see any other difference. It's not like the 360 outputs any source that's protected by HDCP.

3. macfan881 macrumors 68020