Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lwien

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 19, 2009
Which would you say is better for games such as Mass Effect? Would the graphics and computing power be equal in both?

lwien

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 19, 2009
30 views but no answers leads me to believe that others would like to also know how the new iMacs hold up against a gaming console.

Is it that a comparison can't be made or that no one yet really knows?

Here's the deal. I have an old iSight 2.1 iMac, circa 2005. It's ok for what I do, but I would like to play some games such as Mass Effect, so I'm thinking of either getting an Xbox and keeping my iSight for internet surfing, or upgrading my iMac to a 21.5 3.2 and not getting the Xbox.

Thoughts?

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Depends on how you want to play Mass Effect. The iMac will run it perfectly.
Better graphics, keyboard and mouse.
Slightly worse graphics, longer loading, sat back with a controller.

Take your pick!

lwien

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 19, 2009
So from a graphical and FPS standpoint, it would be pretty close?

macfan881

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2006
from what i hear Mass effect is better played on the pc but in terms of what other games you wanna play you might be better getting the 360.

StruckANerve

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2008
Rio Rancho, NM
$300 vs. $1000+? And the Xbox will play every game that comes out for it flawlessly whereas the iMac will be outdated and struggle with new games in 2 years. Not even a contest. I still don't understand PC gaming for anything other than Strategy and RPG games. Seems like a complete ripoff.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
$300 vs. $1000+? And the Xbox will play every game that comes out for it flawlessly whereas the iMac will be outdated and struggle with new games in 2 years. Not even a contest. I still don't understand PC gaming for anything other than Strategy and RPG games. Seems like a complete ripoff.

Not exactly. My £900 iMac has lasted me 4 years playing Source games (etc) just fine, but it's also been a workstation and brought in more money than what it cost. And Xbox doesn't do that (unless you're a professional gamer).
Also games are better on a PC. More control options, free online play, much cheaper games, ability to mod games, better graphics. Just more customisation all around.

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley

But the iMac can be used as a computer once it's laid off from its game-playing position. The Xbox 360 is ONLY a game console. PC gaming is better imho because you aren't buying a dedicated system (unless you buy/build a game rig) and can recycle the computer once it's truly outdated.

Personally, I would go with a PS3 for a game console experience. When it's fired from its game-playing position, you can use it as a Blu-Ray player. And it's got built-in 3D.

Note to OP: FPS games are better with a mouse. Microsoft blocked a game before because PC gamers could play with console gamers in multiplayer mode and even the noob PC gamers could easily defeat a professional console gamer.

sikkinixx

macrumors 68020
Jul 10, 2005
Rocketing through the sky!
Get the iMac refurb then find a used 360 at EB or something. They run for well under $100 now a days. If you can afford $1000+ for a new computer you can scrap together a bit more to get a cheap-o 360 as well no?

Mass Effect IS better on PC (particularly the first one) but the 360 will do you far better than the iMac for playing the majority of new games.

SevenInchScrew

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2007
Omaha
And here in Vancouver with one of the internet/TV providers the 360 can be used as a set-top box. They give you one free if you sign a service contract.
Oh, that's right, I forgot about that stuff too. In the UK, you can get Sky TV through the Xbox. So, yea, it does a little bit more than just play games.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Oh, that's right, I forgot about that stuff too. In the UK, you can get Sky TV through the Xbox. So, yea, it does a little bit more than just play games.

That's Sky Player though. Sky is a massive service and it's Player only shows highlights of some channels. It's not like iPlayer or 4oD where everything they broadcast is available.

It's also a bad media player. I tried playing back some MP4's from a memory stick, around half way through every file they became stuttery and started dropping frames. Music and video playback only works with a few formats. Even the DVD player (on the older models) was louder than holy hell.

SevenInchScrew

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2007
Omaha
That's Sky Player though. Sky is a massive service and it's Player only shows highlights of some channels. It's not like iPlayer or 4oD where everything they broadcast is available.
Regardless, it IS one more thing that it does beyond just playing games.
It's also a bad media player....
I've used it quite a lot, and haven't had any issues at all. Playing stuff both directly on the Xbox, and streaming stuff over the network with Connect360, worked just fine for me.
Even the DVD player (on the older models) was louder than holy hell.
Again, maybe it's just me, but my current 360 (launch Elite) is not loud at all when just watching a DVD. If you play a game off the DVD drive, yes, it is very loud when it is loading data as quick as possible. But just playing a movie it makes almost no noise. The fans on my 360 are louder than the DVD drive when just watching a movie.

benwizkid

macrumors member
Sep 10, 2010
I would personally get the xbox. I am not much of a PC gamer, I understand the concept though. It takes a lot of upkeep to keep up with the newest games (upgrades etc.) The iMac is great if you need a computer also and to do gaming. If you are just looking for games xbox all the way. For example I tried to play DA: Origins on my PC... it was a no go. It needed a quad core processor which I didn't have though my GPU is fine for it. My computer is from 2007 and was a gaming computer. Yet the tech in my xbox from 2005 will run it flawlessly.

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008

That's pretty much what I've figured out. If you have a choice, go with a console. Snow Leopard and whatever issue I've been having since I installed it a year ago killed any chance I have of playing WoW on here again, not that I can afford to. I don't have a choice on that game, but I have owned a Wii since launch and an Xbox 360 for a couple of months. The number of issues with console games is INSANELY lower. I mean those things are about as reliable as toasters.

Hermes Monster

macrumors 65816
May 4, 2010
UK
Get the iMac refurb then find a used 360 at EB or something. They run for well under $100 now a days. If you can afford $1000+ for a new computer you can scrap together a bit more to get a cheap-o 360 as well no?

+1

This is the way forward, plus getting a 360 now will give you access to thousands of games for next to nothing, a lot of classics in there to pick from as well

The sky player will allow you to watch a lot of live TV as well, sky sports and movies as long as you have them in your package.

iPlayer and 4OD don't show EVERYTHING that the channels broadcast - those are some big time sweeping statements your making:rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.