Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kauai

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 13, 2010
Hey there everyone. I wasn't sure if this was a good place to post this; but since this is the only real forum I follow that has a lot of techy people and people interested in media, thought it may be the best.

I'm 17 and for a few years I was really into gaming. These days I really don't have the time or to be honest the attention span to sit through a whole RPG any more. I have a PS3, because for gaming I see it as the superior console - but all I really use it for any more is Netflix/Hulu.

So here's my question. My Brothers have both a Wii and an xBox 360 with Kinect. They NEVER play the xBox, only the Wii. So I've offered to buy it from them for a fair price, plus a bit of non-monetary compensation.

Any way. I'll get straight to the question. The new xBox 360 makeover is awesome and for media purposes is vastly superior to the PS3. Especially with voice control and rumors about a full-fledged browser coming out soon.

So would it be a good idea; if all I want is a decent media console for my room, to sell my PS3/Games and buy the xBox from them? What are some benefits of the xBox (and Kinect) as a media console over the PS3? Any drawbacks, or things you can think of that the PS3 has over the xBox?

Motion and voice control with the Kinect is pretty cool itself; though I still prefer the controller for now.

h1r0ll3r

macrumors 68040
Dec 28, 2009
Maryland
I own all three (360, PS3, Wii). The Wii is a joke really so I won't even go there. I only have it since I'm a die hard Legend of Zelda fan and those are the only games I have for it.

As far as "media" goes, both the PS3/360 offer pretty much the same in terms of streaming media, i.e. Netflix, Hulu, etc. The one major media advantage of the PS3 is that it plays Blu-ray whereas the 360 uses the long defunct HD-DVD media.

As far as a media device goes, I would go with the PS3 mainly because in order to use a lot of features on the 360, you need to be a XBOX Live Gold member which has its annual fees. I find it pretty lame that you pay for the system (and all its accessories) as well as pay for the game(s) AND you pay for the streaming services but can only use them if you pay more to be a Gold member? I used to have Netflix and was pretty bummed to find out I can't use it on my XBOX since I'm not a gold member. If paying the annual dues is no problem for you then the XBOX is a good bet. However, I refuse to pay to play on the XBOX so I stick with the PS3. It's a good gaming system, free online multiplayer as well as free use of the streaming services (so long as you sign up for them).

For me, the PS3 serves as my multiplayer/online gaming system and Blu-ray player or my media/entertainment system. The XBOX360 is pretty much my gaming system and I only buy solo player games for that.

Demosthenes X

macrumors 68000
Oct 21, 2008
I'd stick to the PS3 for sole reason that you're going to have to pay an additional $8/month to Microsoft for the privilege of using Netflix on the XBOX. If you were playing online games then the cost of XBL might be worth shelling out for, but since you're not it's going to be a waste of your money.

PS3 also has a Blu-Ray player, so it's a better all-around media centre imo.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
PS3, you have to pay a subscription on the Xbox just to get access to lots of online features and services (which is wrong, IMO).
Other than that I haven't found much difference between the two. The ps3 has a more elegant interface I find, it's easier to set up and run too but those aren't too important.

Dustman

macrumors 65816
Apr 17, 2007
PS3. More powerful, supports 1080P resolution, and doesn't require you to buy Xbox Live every month when you have no interest in online gaming. Kinect is a gimmic for navigation. I paid a decent chunk of change for the Kinect and it has probably been turned on twice in the past year. Plus, you need a gynormous living room to be able to use the damn thing.

Kauai

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 13, 2010
I'll never buy another Disc in my life, so Blu-Ray is irrelevant.

But thanks for all your opinions. I've pretty much decided it's not worth the hassle for a prettier inteface (imo).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.