Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Babooshka

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 10, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
I recently bought an Xbox 360 off one of my brothers mate, which had the Red Ring of Death. (I shall point out the warranty had expired)

I used the method if removing the heat syncs and cleaning them. It worked for all of 10 minutes.

After the initial success, I got the two lights of "Ahhhhhh, es too 'ot in 'ere", but when I opened it up, the heat syncs were cold, and there appeared to be nothing wrong.

Can anybody help a gamer in need? All I want to do is play!

SamIchi

macrumors 68030
Aug 1, 2004
Warranties got extended to 3 years. Give Xbox a call. I just sent mine in, still waiting to get it back.

fiercetiger224

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2004
Even though the heatsinks feel cold, it doesn't mean that everything is fine. The solder joints on the GPU could have been "melted" from too much heat, meaning if even one joint burns out, could render the chip completely useless, depending on what that joint does with the signal.

You might have to go ahead and send it off to MS to get it repaired. The funny thing is that they're still using the same GPUs from launch, meaning the new consoles are still prone to RROD, even if the CPU had a die shrink. I wonder what's taking them so long to move to 65nm for their GPU. Sony is already moving their RSX to 65nm this fall, which is the same for MS, BUT they had a year head start...I guess all they could really do with their time is fix all the RRODs and worry about the die shrink later. :rolleyes:

Babooshka

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 10, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Warranties got extended to 3 years. Give Xbox a call. I just sent mine in, still waiting to get it back.

I opened the Xbox, as I stated, therefore warranty is voided and I am not paying M$ an excess amount of my money.

If need be I'll look on eBay for one.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
^ They are hardly money grabbers.

1) You bought a second hand item cheap (therefore you yourself have not put money in Microsoft's coffers),

2) Then voided the warranty by breaking into the hardware yourself (where a small bit of research could have informed you that they have 3 year warranties now meaning ALL 360's ((except those modded for illegal means)) can avail of free repair as no 360 is over 3 years of age as yet).

Any company would charge you to fix the hardware under those circumstances and rightly so. It will cost you £75-100 to fix.

Sony is already moving their RSX to 65nm this fall, which is the same for MS, BUT they had a year head start...

It probably is a case of having to wait for ATI or whoever manufactures the chip for them (might not be ATI directly, but franchised out to third party manufacturer in china) to move to 65nm at factory level - in which case they are working with their timeframe rather than their own. As the RSX is only moving in the fall, we could assume that these manufacturing plants over in china are only just updating plants now.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Sony is already moving their RSX to 65nm this fall, which is the same for MS, BUT they had a year head start...I guess all they could really do with their time is fix all the RRODs and worry about the die shrink later. :rolleyes:

WTF! So that head start on MS's front means that chip manufacturers are also a year ahead, but only for MS hardware? Is that what you're trying to say?

Overheating... Did you get 2 red lights or the full 3? 3 means you're buggered. 2 means you might be okay, so long as you keep the system in a cool spot and don't introduce it to your fave hairdryer or microwave.
Basically 2 red lights means a warning that it's going to overheat. We have this problem.

Yaboze

macrumors 6502a
May 31, 2007
The Garden State
I believe MS already shrunk their CPU die to 65nm and will shrink the GPU to 65nm this fall or sooner. The current motherboard is dubbed "Falcon" and only has a 65nm CPU.

I think the GPU is what the main issue was with the 360's, this is probably why the Falcon chipset really didn't solve their failure issue.

Best thing to do is, if it dies with a RROD, don't mess with it, unless you are a skilled modder, just sent it back to MS and it get repaired or replaced for free. They extended the warranty.

2nyRiggz

macrumors 603
Aug 20, 2005
Thank you Jah...I'm so Blessed
The chips have been shrink, replaced and nothings helps...its a design flaw with current parts together(the housing and all) thats the problem.

Your only bet is to call MS and take the hit...please don't do the towel trick;)

Bless

Babooshka

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 10, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
2) Then voided the warranty by breaking into the hardware yourself (where a small bit of research could have informed you that they have 3 year warranties now meaning ALL 360's ((except those modded for illegal means)) can avail of free repair as no 360 is over 3 years of age as yet).

I do accept is over-exaggerated, but to get a repair under warranty, you need proof of purchase, which I didn't get as he had lost the receipt.

All I did ask for was a price. Thanks for the pricing.

I didn't try the towel trick, because it seemed too stupid

Thanks for all the help guys, I'll try Microsoft and hope they're nice chaps.

Again, thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.