Xbox 360 Regions

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by Jasonbot, Oct 25, 2007.

1. Jasonbot macrumors 68020

Jasonbot

How do 360 Regons work, I know there's PAL and NSTC but are there any sub regionised bits like if I bought an NTSC in china would it work on a US NTSC Xbox?

Also, what region does japan employ?

2. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

Oh the joys of the 360 region system. Thing is, they left it up to the devs to decide, so the only way to check is to look it up (I use play-asia.com). Sometimes it's almost down to being controlled to just 1 city, other times it's totally open, and occasionally you get it so that it's just one region that's blocked out

3. Jasonbot thread starter macrumors 68020

Jasonbot

wow, a developer decision :O how crap! anyways, i guess Ill just have to look carefully when I buy games internationally.

4. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

5. Jasonbot thread starter macrumors 68020

Jasonbot

Does MacRumorsUser know lots about 360 regions?

6. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Did someone call ;)

360 & region thing!!

Basically there are three regions
    NTSC (US) NTSC-J (ASIA & JAPAN) PAL (Europe)

But NTSC-J Asia / Japan can often been seen as two regions because there are a number of differences. The Japanese version will always be in japanese, whereas the Asian version of a game will usually be in English / Japanese selectable.

Now as greatdevourerc say's it is mostly left to the publisher to decide if they wish to make their game region free or not.

A number of publishers ALWAY release region free gaming such as Codemasters, Activision, SEGA & Ubisoft, whilst others have only really begun doing it as standard like MS themselves (gears, halo3, pgr4), and a few others Namco & EA who do not.

However
    there is also a little bit of confusion in the mix because some developers may make their Japan release region locked, and yet their USA & PAL releases are region free.

I would estimate that about 70% of games these days are region free, and thankfully most of the 'big name' titles are from the publshers who do - do region free.

There is a great sources for region free testing and that is
    http://vgplus.blogspot.com/

They will often test the USA version on a pal console.

As for games purchases I usually go for the Asian version as it is dramatically cheaper.

I tend to buy from Play-Asia.com or lately Ebay sellers who have offered even better savings.

I recently got PGR4 & OrangeBox for around £22 each including shipping.

www.play-asia.com usually offer a region test on their system, but I have noticed they often play sneaky and when a 'big name' game is due out they will take forever to update their region free test box in order to maximise selling the proper more expensive region game over the vastly cheaper Asian version.

Asian versions. (as opposed to Japanese version) These normally look identical to Western release although occasionaly the packaging may have some chinese writing on them. But usually not.

Forthcoming big titles that will be cheaper & pretty much guaranted regionfree include

ASSASINS CREED, MASS EFFECT, SPLINTER CELL, JEHRICO, CALL OF DUTY 4 etc...

If you are ever unsure whether a game is going to be region free - drop me a pm or post a thread and I'm sure we can get the info for you.

7. slicedbread macrumors regular

dude you are my HERO! I just got a UK PAL xbox, but i visit HK alot so I can usually pick up some cheap games there. Needed to know which games are region-free there, so your info is GREAT! Thanks.