XBOX 360 Ring of Death - Halo 3

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by robPOD, Sep 25, 2007.

1. robPOD macrumors 6502

So I get my brand new copy of Halo 3 today, and as I turn on my 360 to play it for the first time I get the 3 red lights, the ring of death. I turn of my 360 and reboot it and again get the ring of death. At this point Im starting to panic so I try to reboot again and It starts up normally, Should I be worried about this?

p.s halo 3 is friggin sweeet:D

2. Piarco macrumors 68030

Piarco

I thought the 3 red lights was a no-way-back thing... if its still working for you after a couple of restarts that's good news... although I'd be worried. My 360 started acting weird after I started playing MOH:A, and despite all seeming well recently, lockups and frozen screens resulted in a the RROD yesterday - my 360 is going in for the second time... just as Halo3 will be arriving on my doorstep in the morning :mad:
    Ah well, I'll upgrade to an Elite sooner than I was planning and sell on the Premium as soon as it returns.

:EDIT: Just noticed that this thread is in the wrong section of the gaming forum - best get a Mod to move it to console games.

3. TBi macrumors 68030

TBi

I'd return it. The Red Ring of Death is a sign that something is failing intermittently, soon it will fail fully. Get it replaced before it goes fully down the crapper.

4. Scott982 macrumors member

Scott982

My 360 just died also and to top it off I bought the Collectors Edition of Halo 3 which has scratched discs.

5. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Yes and no.

Could simply be a loose AV connection or the HDD come a little ajar. Either of those would cause the three rings, and a simple nudge of the box puts them back in place and the machine works fine then on, therefore there is nothing 'internaly' majorly wrong with it.

I'd wait and see. :)

6. TBi macrumors 68030

TBi

Ya well i wouldn't! I'd smother it and give it a real RROD! MU HA HA!

:D

7. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Ye evil Cork man. Your just steaming from the whooping we gave ye in the All Ireland :p :D

8. TBi macrumors 68030

TBi

That was low... very low...

Watch out i might come smother your precious Elite!

9. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Culchices 1 - Corkonians Nil :p

No one touches 'my precious' ; not even those bloody hobbits :D

10. robPOD thread starter macrumors 6502

Lol, Yeah I geuss I will wait and see, did micosoft extentend the warrenty for 360s from 1 year to 3 ?

that could be true as i had just moved it to my other tv and plugged every thing in again.

11. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

The ending of Halo 3 is stupidly cliche, completed it yesterday, the graphics on 2 player aren't too good but 1 player is amazing.

My girlfriend got 3 rings because the 360 got dusty, tried taking a hoover to the back exhaust? could suck up any dust thats causing the CPU to overheat.

12. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Gutted :(

If I was so excited over a game and with worrying stats of console breaking, I would have tried my best to break the system a month before launch. That way you get a nice new one.

13. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

knowing my luck I fully expect my launch day 360 to crap out the second I put Halo 3 into it :p

14. takao macrumors 68040

takao

no.. it will crap out halfway through the last level making you miss out the end ;)

15. Schnebar macrumors 6502

its ok.

My 360 broke a few months ago and we shipped it off.

Just got it back a week ago and it worked the first day so i pre ordered halo 3.

Then day 2 it broke and it still wont work.

So I have halo 3 and a broken 360.

They are sending us a box to ship it back in.

Hopefully it wont be another month.

16. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

apparently the ending sucks anyway so I won't miss much ;)

17. bleufire macrumors member

HAHAH! This is funny, i just hoped on this site to bitch about how a few days ago (like 2 days) i was playing Halo 2 to grease me up for Halo 3.

After waiting 4 hours last night and getting home planning on wasting my night on it, I open the tray and instead of being greeted with Green lights, FLASHING RED!!! OMG! Talk about luck.

Im pissed. I called xbox repair support team elite to the max up and told them about it and told the guy on phone if he ever saw a grown man cry over a video game dilema before.

*sigh* 6-8 weeks..:(

18. bluebomberman macrumors 6502a

bluebomberman

I suppose this thread was inevitable...not even Master Chief can defeat the dreaded Red Halos of Death, it seems. :p

19. robPOD thread starter macrumors 6502

I fear, that my 360's death is impending, it has frozen about 6 times today with multiple random controllers disconnects, hopefully it will die after I have finished halo 3.

20. displaced macrumors 65816

displaced

Sadly, the Elite doesn't correct the cause of the RRoD. MS bunged another heatsink on some chips, but they're still failing. The problem is that heatsinks only help if you've got enough cool air flowing into the machine to push the hot air away from the heatsinks. The 360 just doesn't draw enough cool air in to let the heatsinks do their job. There's stories around the web (and a mate of mine who works in GAME confirms) about Elites ('Zephyr' systems) failing in exactly the same way as the Premiums.

D'oh!

The 'real' fix will be when the 'Falcon' revision of the 360 gets released. These use cheaper, cooler, smaller processors (65nm instead of 90nm). Apparently, these should appear towards the end of the year. We'll also start seeing Zephyr-based Premiums over here soon -- basically identical to the Elites (HDMI and all), but white and with the regular small HD.

My 360's been repaired twice ... going to try to keep the thing chugging along until those Falcons get released.

21. bluebomberman macrumors 6502a

bluebomberman

Is there any way to run the Xbox 360 with an open case? I used to have an overheating PC tower that required the services of a 12-inch fan blowing directly at the motherboard & CPU.

22. displaced macrumors 65816

displaced

The front faceplate is user-removable. The rest of the case is deliberately designed to be an absolute pain in the arse to remove. There's lots of 'poking-things-in-notches' to do. This step also breaks the MS warranty seal. After that, the console itself is pretty much entirely enclosed in a metal inner case.

However, you might get away with just removing the faceplate. It's behind there that the two under-sized intake fans are located. Pushing some frost air through there should help.

I thought about doing this, but decided that it was daft to try to work around this sort of thing for a games console. Besides, the damn thing's loud enough :)

23. bluebomberman macrumors 6502a

bluebomberman

Normally, I'd agree, but considering that the console probably runs much hotter than even my iMac G5 (which has peaked at 69 degrees Celsius)...

What's going to happen when the 3-year warranties run out? People will have to just another Xbox 360? And *shudder* what if the 65nm chipset doesn't solve the problem?

The reliability issue bugs the heck out of me because it's one of the only things that's keeping me from buying an Xbox 360 to play Mass Effect...

24. p0intblank macrumors 68030

All this talk about Halo 3 killing 360s is beginning to scare me... I got my 360 for Christmas last year. Do you think I am safe?

25. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Dude, I put the halo3 disc in my 360 and it freezes before I get past the title screen....Three times!!

I'm fearing the three rings here.....I don't want to go through this again....I'm still messing around with bioshock man!!

Bless