XBox 360 Star Wars Kinect amazes people

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by KingCrimson, Jun 7, 2011.

1. KingCrimson macrumors 65816

2. *LTD* macrumors G4

*LTD*

3. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

I thought this was demo'd at E3.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

That looks awesome, too bad I don't own an xbox :(

5. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

I have a 360 and I'm thinking I may need to pick up a Kinect (and larger) hard drive to take care of my desire for everything Microsoft demoed at E3.

6. KingCrimson thread starter macrumors 65816

I take it back, apparently the Kinect demos were awful:

http://thefastertimes.com/tech/2011/06/09/e3-2011-grading-microsofts-press-conference/

7. Nuck81, Jun 9, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2011

Nuck81 macrumors regular

8. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

Meh, another Star Wars "rails" game but without controllers. Nice if you like those sort of games from the 90's...

I heard that the XB360 only has enough power for those type of Kinect games.

The next XBox, of course, will have the power for more complex ones... ;)

9. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

I didn't catch the name of it but I saw footage of a first person horror game being shown at E3 and it was not on rails. The user controlled walking by how they stood (one leg forward to move forward, one leg back to move back, legs together to stop). I couldn't tell how the camera was controlled but it was user controlled as well.

Lethal

10. Patrick946 macrumors regular

Uh, if you have one leg forward isn't the other one back? Haha.

Kinect seems interesting, but I think it's probably best for little kids who just want to move stuff around on screen. It's not really sophisticated enough to run games the way I originally imagined that it would be.

11. Dagless Suspended

Dagless

I didn't watch it, but a buddy of mine did and said "Kinect seems to work awesome when any action you do kills everything on screen". If it's that easy then I'll pass... but I auto-pass because of an apathy towards Kinect.

12. Liquorpuki macrumors 68020

Liquorpuki

Still waiting for an NBA Kinect game...

One day they'll figure out they need to give the player a controller in addition to the Kinect so all the games don't have to be on rails. They also need to put a processor in the Kinect sensor to get rid of the lag

Dance Central 2 looks fun though regardless... I even saw some BBoying in there

13. Taustin Powers macrumors regular

Wow, doesn't that sound like a load of fun! Future of video gaming, I applaud you! :rolleyes:

Maybe I am just becoming a grumpy old man when it comes to this whole motion controlling crap. I just want to sit on my couch, relax, and play some damn good games. AND NOW GET OFF MY LAWN!! :D

14. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

I should have specified that the movement is from the same leg. Example, left leg forward = move forward. Left leg back = move back. Left leg next to right leg = stop.

I'm assuming you played the demo at E3, then?;)
    Meh. Gaming can be more than just arbitrary button pushing to trigger a canned response, IMO. One of the largest hurdles is to get people to leave the controller-centric thinking behind and be willing to try a new experience. I think the best motion games, like the best smart phone & tablet games, are the ones that offer players an experience they can't get w/a controller. Some of the worst games are the ones that try to shoehorn what should be a controller-based game into a motion controlled environment.

Games like Angry Birds, Flight Control HD and Fruit Ninja I think are a blast in part because they offer an experience I can't get with a controller. On the flip side, games like Dead Space for iOS I find frustrating because I feel the game play experience would be better if I was using a controller instead of a touchscreen.

Lethal

15. Taustin Powers macrumors regular

What a strange and baffling assumption.

I highlighted a passage of text and stated that it does not sound like fun to me. Can you enlighten me on which part of my post may have implied hands-on experience with the demo? :)

16. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

For a while I've wanted MS to come out w/a split controller for the 360 so that, like you are saying, games could use a combination of Kinect and game pad controls but I doubt that's going to happen. I don't see MS making a "Kinect plus" that has a CPU built in, but I think the next gen 360 will have Kinect fully integrated and be a much more robust rendition of the technology.

I was just taking a playful dig at you for apparently condemning something you haven't experienced nor even seen video of. :)

From the previews I've read of Rise of Nightmares the walk mechanic (controlled by your foot) and the camera view (controlled by your shoulders) can be awkward but being able to pound on zombies with brass knuckles or decapitate them with garden sheers makes up for it. This is all based on short play times of an unfinished build of the game of course so no one will know what the complete game experience is like for a few more months. I think it's an interesting first step into a new control mechanic for the Kinect though.

Lethal

17. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

18. cube macrumors G5

It's not amazing to wave your hands for a sword fight.

Amazing would be a lightsaber replica wireless controller.

19. Liquorpuki macrumors 68020

Liquorpuki

I think if they ever merged Kinect and Move/Wii technologies together, they'd have something very cool that would pull all the anti-motion people in.

With the Kinect, I got a system that automatically processes full body motion. But I can't move in 3D space so all the games are on rails. I also can't hold anything while I'm playing so games make me feel like a mime.

With the Move, you're able to move around in the game because the controller. You also have accurate object tracking so you can do things like use the controller as a gun. But if you want to duck, etc you still have to push a button.

They really need to merge the best of both worlds IMO. Otherwise the Kinect is always gonna be stuck with party games and the Move will always just be WII version 2.

20. Taustin Powers macrumors regular

And I took it as such. :) Just wanted to emphasize that I never claimed to base my opinion on anything more than what was written in that post.

And maybe I should be more open-minded...like I said, I feel like a grumpy old man about this stuff. I did try some games on a friend's Wii though, and while I loved the games (Mario Galaxy, New Mario Bros, Kart, Sports), for the most part I was thinking "damn, these are pretty good games, I wish they would come without waggle!". So instead of a Wii I got a Super Nintendo on Ebay! :D I tried the Kinect in a store and Move at a trade show, and the whole concept simply does not appeal to me.

So in all fairness, it's not that I haven't given motion controls a chance...it's just that I didn't like it when I tried it. Just not the kind of gaming experience I enjoy. More power to those who do though. I may laugh at people doing spasmic monkey dances in front of the Kinect, but I will never judge them. ;)

21. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

Probably not - MS's "movement control" philosophy seems to be totally controller-less.

Maybe they'll change their mind depending on the PS3's Motion success...