Xbox 360 Wifi help

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by JHNguyen, Jan 24, 2008.

1. JHNguyen macrumors member

I'm looking to help out a friend with an Xbox 360 setup. He has one computer that is connected directly to his modem. His Xbox 360 is too far and he doesn't want to have an ethernet running throughout his house. He's looking for an alternative to a wireless router..

Nintendo has a USB dongle that connects to a PC via USB. The dongle creates a wifi access point for the Nintendo DS and Wii.. I've also heard that it works with a PSP. IS their anything like this that is compatible with an Xbox 360?

So this way all he needs to get is:
    -wireless adaptor for the Xbox 360
    -wifi usb dongle for the PC

He's really just looking for an alternative to a wireless router. He doesn't want to go through the hassle of it all.

2. Martin C macrumors 6502a

Martin C

And the USB dongle is going to be less than just a regular b/g wireless router? The router will cost him $35-$40 and he won't have to deal with troubleshooting.

If he went for the dongle his computer would have to be every time that he wants to play 360.

Just a thought...

3. thegreatunknown macrumors regular

I agree, buying a router will cost about the same amount. If the computer has a wireless card forget the M$ wireless antenna and put the new wireless router by the xbox and connect it to the 360 with ethernet cable. It'll save you $100. Even if the computer doesn't have a wireless card, you could probably buy one for much cheaper than the xbox wireless antenna.

(isn't much of a hassle with the current wireless routers...)

4. JHNguyen thread starter macrumors member

He rooms with other people and he doesn't want to mess with the internet connection since it is not his. So I was hoping the USB dongle would work.

Does a USB wifi access point exist?

5. JHNguyen thread starter macrumors member

He doesn't mind spending more money.

6. NAG macrumors 68030

NAG

It would also be harder to maintain. I really don't understand the reluctance to just buy a router instead of using your computer as one. Routers are honestly easier to setup than running everything through your computer.

7. Aperture macrumors 68000

Aperture

If a router is really not an option (although I think it is the best way of doing this) perhaps he could get a wireless card for the computer & have Windows/OS X share the internet from the ethernet out via the wireless card to other computers. That essentially makes the computer a router.