XBOX and Time Capsule

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by instantpop, Apr 25, 2013.

1. instantpop macrumors newbie

Hi guys,

I know this has been discussed ad nauseum here as I've spent plenty of time lurking in the forums researching this issue to death. I've finally decided to register and post my own thread (apologies for creating another) because I still can't seem to get to the bottom of the issue.

Our house has several consoles (2 360's, 1 PS3 and a Wii U). All are connected wirelessly. I'm constantly having issues with the 360's disconnecting from XBOX Live when streaming video from Netflix, Hulu or the like. I've tried everything (default zone, opening all the ports w/ static IP) and I still have the issue. Some days it doesn't happen, some days it does.

This last time I used the ports outlined in several threads here as posted by macnoobie (3074, 88, 53, 80). The 360 was in great shape for about a week and then the disconnects starting happening again today.

I'm almost tempted to see if I can dig up my old Netgear router, throw the TC into bridge mode and call it a day. I've been trying for the better part of a year to get things to work right to no avail.

What am I missing (if anything)? Or are the TC and the 360 just destined to not play well together?

Thanks, and apologies again for the umpteenth post on this topic.

Brent

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I run an XBox with a TC and it works fine. I do have the XBox in the DMZ though. Here is an old post how to setup DMZ.

3. instantpop thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply, Weaselboy. The biggest issue with the DMZ is that I have two 360's, sometimes running at the same time - so I can only put one in the DMZ, right? That's why I was shooting for getting this port thing nailed down, but something isn't sticking.

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

That is correct. I was thinking though, usually port problems would present as not being able to connect. If you can connect, then it drops out afterward, that sounds like something else. Do you have a strong wifi signal to the XBox? Is there any way you could run ethernet to the XBox... maybe with Powerline adaptors?

5. instantpop thread starter macrumors newbie

You know, I never even really thought of the signal strength as being an issue, but that's something I'm going to look at. I've had some issues in the past, but thought it was Comcast related.

No way to really get it hardwired. I don't own the house that we're in and getting a line to the XBOX that keeps disconnecting would be tough.

Would assigning a channel in the wireless options improve signal strength?

6. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

It can if you have other people nearby using the same channels. Sure worth a try.