xbox elite hdmi question

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by jaheria, Dec 16, 2008.

1. jaheria macrumors newbie

allright I am not a techy person nor a hard core gamer and I would appreciate any response with a very simple explanation otherwise you'll lose me:eek:
    dumb question of the day is..hdmi cables is it for improving the game visuals? kinda like playing a game in high def or are the cables just for watching shows and movies in hd?
    yes I have an hd tv.
    also is there anything I need to look for when purchasing a game to make sure it will be played in hd?
    The guy at best buy couldn't really answer my question.
    thanks

2. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

HDMI is a digital connection that also carries audio. The Component (red green blue) cables are analogue and require separate audio cables. Think of it like the difference between VGA and DVI connections for a PC monitor. The image quality will be arguably better — I can't really see the difference on my TV. Both support the same HD resolutions.

All Xbox 360 games are in HD. They say on the back of the case which HD resolutions are supported. Some support 720p and some, if not most, 1080i or 1080p.

3. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

^ All support 1080p. However some are scaled up to 1080p rather than being native 1080p. :)

4. barr08 macrumors 65816

barr08

I hope I'm not jacking this thread, but is there a way to find out if a game is upscaled or native 1080p? All the games I have say 1080p on the back, but I think many of them are scaled. I guess it doesn't really matter, it still looks good, im just curious.

5. stainlessliquid macrumors 68000

After switching from component to HDMI on my PS3 I noticed a pretty big difference. Contrast, sharpness, and colors were better and since its digital it gets rid of the "vibration" that analog signals have (plus I was able to select extra visual options on the PS3, dont know if the 360 has special digital enhancements like dynamic RGB settings). I would say HDMI is totally worth it.

6. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

Ah, I thought I saw some games in the Marketplace that just said 720p or 1080i. Either way, it's all HD, and the retail games do have the supported resolution printed on the back.

I think so, I remember seeing some sort of dynamic color setting that I turned on, not sure if it's the same thing.