Xbox Game Capture with Power Mac G5

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by ErraticGamer, May 26, 2014.

1. ErraticGamer macrumors newbie

I have a power mac g5 and i want to start a youtube channel. at the moment i dont have the funds to get a new computer. I want to know is there a good game capture so i can record xbox 360 gameplay. i will also need a video editing software so i would also like some recommendations for that too. I would prefer something cheap but i want hd 1080p videos. any other recommendations are welcome!

2. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Some form of iMovie or Final Cut Express will work nicely.

3. onkzzz macrumors member

Lemme start by saying this:
    What is it you are asking?
    Are you asking what capture card to buy?
    Are you asking how it would work on a G5?

BTW I don't think you will get 1080p from it.
    Since it only runs Leopard, you will have a hard time getting a hd cap card to work.

4. ErraticGamer thread starter macrumors newbie

5. tevion5 macrumors 68000

tevion5

Ahh surely there is some card for it.

I mean, my PowerMacitosh 8600 running MAC OS 9 can do live video capture from an RF cable source (the yellow cable on an analogue triplet), and that machine was made by Apple in 1997 o_O

6. robertdsc macrumors regular

robertdsc

Your best bet would be to purchase a USB-based video capture device.

I have used a Pinnacle Dazzle video recorder in conjunction with VideoGlide software from EchoFX. It captures in 640x480 standard definition, using red, white, and yellow composite cables, from a PS3.

You will also need a distribution amplifier to connect to your TV set and the video recording device at the same time.

There is a component (red-green-blue)USB-based device from Blackmagic Design, but the software required to use it is, I believe, Intel only.

7. onkzzz macrumors member

Still, my point stays. I don't think you'd even get 720p, let alone 1080p.
    480p will work though, like robertdsc mentioned:

I can also say that the Dazzle capture cards work great.
    I recommend getting a card that is older than the DVC80 for the best compatibility.

8. scarmullet macrumors newbie

scarmullet

The best thing about the external capture devices is that they are little computers in and of themselves and do all the video processing no matter the resolution...sadly there are little options for PowerPC macs as all have software that do not work on anything older than Snow Leopard.

Your best bet is to get a totally external one like the Game Capture HD from AVERMEDIA (not to be confused with the Game Capture HD from Elgato) the Avermedia one allows you to install a laptop sata hard drive and then you can use a flash drive to get the video files off the system and cut them with a PowerPC version of Final Cut Pro....but this one is stuck with Component Video....just a really messy set up.

There is also the Live Gamer Portable, which is also from Avermedia which does the same thing as the Avermedia version of the Game Capture HD, but allows you to use HDMI (keep in mind, HDCP), and SD cards to record footage. It is totally autonomous, so no computer is needed to record footage.

9. lastmile macrumors regular

Aja Kona LH for most G5s or Kona LHe for those with PCIe slots. I've heard the Aja Xena cards are the same thing but marketed for PCs. They are apparently recognized as Kona cards in a Mac with Mac Kona drivers installed.