Xbox hardware used in a mac

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by ruffNstuff, Oct 18, 2009.

1. ruffNstuff macrumors newbie

Does anyone know of how to use xbox parts to allow my :apple: to play xbox games, or use the graphics card from the xbox on my mac?

I have heard that it can be done... but no one i have talked to, ever has actually seen one or met someone who has.

2. tofagerl macrumors 6502a

tofagerl

You mean, like using a laptop screen on the xbox?

3. ruffNstuff thread starter macrumors newbie

Note quite, I have a red ringed 360 that i got for free and i would like to use the parts on my mac.

4. MattZani macrumors 68030

MattZani

What you are asking is impossible.

Can use the HDD if you got the HDD, just open up the enclosure, and get a USB External for it.

That wont help you play 360 games though, you need a 360 :L

5. Scippy macrumors regular

I don't think that what you're trying to do is possible.
    If it is, try googling it.

6. Dr.Pants macrumors 65816

Dr.Pants

The LARGEST problem is the Xbox 360 uses a completely different architecture then Intel Mac. The SECOND LARGEST problem is that everything is soldiered AFAIK and thus would be a PITA to disassemble. Have you even opened it yet?! Its BS (and you don't need all the "handy" stuff that's sold online)

Better off buying a new 360 instead of the R&D work

Your best bet for RRoD repair is to hook up the xbox to the TV and find out what error code it gives you, then look around for fixing that particular error.

Also helps to know what model of 360 it is. There are 5-6 different models, IIRC.

And as for Mac and the 360, I remember reading some early devs used a G5 with one of the cores disabled to get used to the POWER architecture, which is no longer used in macs.

7. ruffNstuff thread starter macrumors newbie

I know its possible to use the cd drive also, but my question is more has anyone figured out how to make osx recognize the parts

(the original xbox used power pc CPU [same as the older macs] surely they have to close and somewhat easily compatible)

8. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

The answer to your question is no. It is not possible to put parts from an Xbox 360 in a Mac to enable it to run Xbox 360 games.

9. Andy348 macrumors 6502

Would be awesome though!

10. Eric5h5 macrumors 68020

Not the same. Different CPU, different instruction set (Altivec stuff not compatible).

Edit: Actually, the original Xbox was x86, not PPC at all. Xbox 360 is PPC-based, but not particularly compatible with the PPC chips used in Macs.

Nope...anyone who told you there was any kind of compatibility was lying or clueless. Even if there was, there's no way to physically use the parts in a Mac.

--Eric

11. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Can't you get a red ringed 360 repaired for free?

12. ceezy3000 macrumors 6502

ceezy3000

Before the launch of the Xbox 360, several alpha development kits were spotted using Apple's Power Mac G5 hardware. This was due to the system's PowerPC 970 processor running the same PowerPC architecture that the Xbox 360 would eventually run under IBM's Xenon processor.

13. Eric5h5 macrumors 68020

Only partially the same; as I mentioned, the SIMD stuff is different. Only the initial dev kits used G5s, and had to use emulation.

--Eric