Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chakra

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 28, 2011
I'm sharing my dorm's wifi with my XBOX 360 via ethernet connection to my Macbook Pro. I followed instructions on setting up internet sharing from Airport to computers using ethernet from http://www.joystiq.com/2006/07/17/how-to-share-your-macs-internet-connection-with-your-xbox/

However, when in the Network settings, under Ethernet, it says "Ethernet has a self-assigned IP address and will not be able to connect to the internet". So when my XBOX tries to test the connection, it can't even get past the first step in connecting to the network and says it cannot obtain an IP address.

So I get the impression that I should manually assign an IP address myself, but I don't know much about networking so I don't know what IP address to use. If I use the self-assigned IP address, where should I enter that number in my XBOX network settings? under IP address or gateway? or DNS settings?

smirk

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2002
Orange County, CA
That article is from 2006 and may not apply anymore. What happens if you just connect the Xbox to your Macbook with an ethernet cable, and you configure the Xbox to use DHCP instead of manually setting those values?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.