Xbox is dark on my tv

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by silbeej, Mar 18, 2009.

1. silbeej macrumors 6502a

So i have my xbox connected to my monitor at school, and playing Halo the colors are fine, you can see in shadows and everything. My tv at home however, the darks are really dark, and the lights aren't much different. I reset the tv, but the darks are still way too dark. any thoughts on this?

2. No1451 macrumors 6502

Try messing with the TVs gamma/colour settings?

3. jzuena macrumors 6502a

jzuena

Are the monitor and TV using the same connection method (VGA orDVI/HDMI) or is the TV using something different like composite or component? Different connection methods might have different brightness levels.

4. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Are you using the VGA cable or the component cable?

I had my 360 hooked up to my TV with the VGA cable and the picture was utter crap. Everything was dark and dull and no amount of adjusting the settings on my TV made it better. I swapped it with the compnent cable and the difference was night and day. Colors were much brighter and vibrant, and the overall picture was brighter. If you're not using component, try using it.

5. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

What type of TV is it? If its a projection television you may need a new bulb.

6. bobfitz14 macrumors 65816

bobfitz14

really? i've been using my 360 on my monitor via the VGA cable for a few months and it is perfect! the monitor resolution is 1280x1024, i don't know if that makes a difference?

7. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I don't think resolution has much to do with it. The image sharpness was fine. It was the colors that were bad. I just know I was able to tell a HUGE difference between VGA and component.

8. silbeej thread starter macrumors 6502a

Monitor is using VGA, and is perfect. TV uses component, and the colors are dark, it kind of makes playing halo/other games difficult since the shadows are very dark.

9. bobfitz14 macrumors 65816

bobfitz14

(read below reply)

i had something similar happen a while ago, i forget what my 360 was hooked up to and how (HDMI/VGA/component etc..) but there was one way i had it setup that Halo was terribly dark. however like i said earlier my VGA setup to my computer monitor is amazing.

EDIT: you can change the brightness of your screen on Halo itself, for those who didn't know.