Xbox Kinetic vs. PS3 Move

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by jonahcandy, Dec 28, 2010.

1. jonahcandy, Dec 28, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 29, 2010

jonahcandy macrumors newbie

There are two new interesting products coming out the Kinetic and The Move and looks like every console will have controllers and "non-controllers" (kinetic) and these two as always will fight hard against each other.

What is your opinion on these two products and who do you think is going to win?

2. rezenclowd3 macrumors 6502a

rezenclowd3

Undoing the work of Priuses: burning gas & rubber
    IMO both are terrible, not because of the hardware, but the games themselves are so very piss-poor. There are a few exceptions, but not enough to warrant a purchase IMO.

3. gilljoy macrumors member

I've had a go on both and they both seem quite cool,

I've played the sports champion demo on my ps3 with a move controller and the way it tracks your hand is pretty stunning technically speaking,

move is just begging for a star wars lightsaber game

4. JuanGuapo macrumors 6502a

JuanGuapo

My wife bought me the Move for X-Mas. The bundled "Sports Champions" game is a lot of fun. The first thing I noticed is how accurate it is at tracking, no lag either. MAG works with it and Killzone 3 is coming next month with full Move integration as well. :)

I'm sure Kinect is nice but I'm apprehensive to buy any Microsoft product after this....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My 2nd 360 failure. :confused:

5. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

I guess it depends on the game, but Move appeals to me where Kinnect doesn't.

What I'd really like to play is a good FPS shooter with the Sharp Shooter accessory:

[​IMG]

Kinnect, AFAIK, doesn't allow for things like this.

Of course, the ideal would be a combination of both, so one would play an FPS with a gun accessory, but to take cover etc. would move their body. That would be a real immersive experience! :D

6. txa1265 macrumors 6502a

txa1265

For me it is amazing that after deriding the Wii and then blatantly copying it ... they both failed to supersede it!

I mean, it has been demonstrated that for all the coolness that Kinect is less accurate than the vanilla Wii-mote (even without the add-on thingy), while the Move is better than Kinect but no better than the Wii.

And I'll second my amazement that pretty well ALL of the games for both SUCK! This is NOT new tech - these games are coming from folks that have made Wii games for 4 years and are STILL putting out incompetent crap.

Amazing.

7. JuanGuapo macrumors 6502a

JuanGuapo

Me too... I've been salivating over Killzone 3 with the Move functionality. :D

8. SevenInchScrew macrumors 6502a

SevenInchScrew

These types of comments make me weep for the future of gaming. :mad:

9. hazza.jockel macrumors 6502

+1

I can see how motion controllers/sensors maybe good for sports games or games where fine movements are not necessary but for games where you need to have more accuracy I'm not so sure. Gun attachments for games are not a new thing (time crisis etc.) and they never took off so i doubt they will now.

I have played on the PS move and it was fun but i can see it going un-used once the novelty has worn off, just like the Wii. The Kinect IMO has a little more promise but not too much more...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWbLOFGSEDo

This video is one of the main reasons putting me off the Kinect.

10. JuanGuapo macrumors 6502a

JuanGuapo

What a snobbish thing to say. :rolleyes:

11. SevenInchScrew macrumors 6502a

SevenInchScrew

That was the intended sentiment, so I'm glad it traversed the internet successfully.

12. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

At least he admits he's a pretentious snob.

Games are designed so people can have fun. It's a shame you feel that others shouldn't be allowed to have fun because they enjoy different ways of gaming than you. :rolleyes:

13. JuanGuapo macrumors 6502a

JuanGuapo

One thing I've found in my life is people who act as such (snobbish) are usually lacking elsewhere in their life. ;)

14. SevenInchScrew macrumors 6502a

SevenInchScrew

I said nothing of what YOU should find fun or enjoyable. I simply think that motion controls have a very limited scope of legitimate use, and regardless of plastic toy "enhancements", shooters are not one of those uses. That is just MY personal opinion on the matter. If you find that type of thing fun, more power to you.
    My opinion was about the direction the game industry is heading. Yours was about my life and how it is "lacking" something. Who's the snobbish one here?

15. Nuck81 macrumors regular

Whether you like it or not, Motion Control is here to stay. It's virtually assured all next gen consoles will be centrally motion controlled. They will cram 3D down our throats next gen as well

16. SevenInchScrew macrumors 6502a

SevenInchScrew

[_] Like It
    [X] Or Not

17. rezenclowd3 macrumors 6502a

rezenclowd3

Undoing the work of Priuses: burning gas & rubber
    ^^ +1 "or not"
    ...I dislike 3d currently as well.

Though I did enjoy the motion controls for sniping in Killzone 2, but would not use them for online play. If Killzone 3 lets Move players play against standard controller players, I will be dissapointed. The Move controls from the preview dumb it down, and take all skill away from the game.

18. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

I haven't played anything in 3D yet, but I hear that Black Ops is pretty amazing in 3D (but at the expense of graphics performance).

That said, there's still not many people out there with 3D TVs, so I'm sure the next-gen consoles will not be "exclusively" 3D. Just as I'm sure they'll continue to support traditional controllers (as the Wii does by supporting the Gamecube controller and Classic Controller Pro).

19. Taustin Powers macrumors regular

I own a 3D tv, but just because the plasma screen that had the picture quality I lusted for happened to also do 3D. ;) I have tried the Wipeout HD demo in 3D once, and....well, it works. That's really all I can say about it. It doesn't make the game better or worse for me. I don't see myself using the 3D feature much in the future. Meh.

As for motion controls, I don't want any part of that. I love Nintendo games (Mario, Zelda, etc.), but could not bring myself to buy a Wii. (Or "Move" for that matter...) The "waggle" is just not for me. I really hope it remains just an option in the next generations of Playstation and XBox.

20. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

I have had both since launch, They're both ok.

Kinect has slightly more to offer game wise but the difference is slight and subjective.

Neither will replace the standard controller.

21. JuanGuapo macrumors 6502a

JuanGuapo

Uh think again dude. Yours was the critique on others' enthusiasm for motion gaming, I offered one on yours and called it a snobbish thing to say. You admitted yourself that it was a snobbish, now you want empathy for it? :rolleyes:

Here's a stepladder to help you get over yourself.

[​IMG]

22. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Hardware seems good for both...Move isn't quite as impressive as a step up when compared to Kinetic(if Wii is the baseline)

But its comes down to games...thats the only thing that matters to me. I'm excited for KZ3, the few levels in LBP2 and what ever else comes to Move. Kinetic doesn't quite that I know of from a software view, but I just might not be up to date. That said Netflix support is supposed to be coming soon which would be just awesome.

23. SevenInchScrew macrumors 6502a

SevenInchScrew

No, I think YOU need to think about it again. At no point was I saying what you, or anyone else, had to think about games. Nor was I saying everyone should agree with my opinion. You can think what you want, and enjoy what you want. BUT I'm also free to disagree with those things being fun. That was the extent of my post.

I hate motion controls, and hope they don't catch on. Call it snobbish, or whatever, it just isn't something I want to do while playing games. I don't care, or want to tell, other people what to think is fun. That is your own opinion, and you're free to enjoy whatever you want. But I'm not going to deny that I hope it doesn't catch on, and quickly fades away like the gimmick it is. "Snobbish" as it might seem, that is my opinion, and I'm sticking with it.

24. Taustin Powers macrumors regular

@SevenInchScrew:

Our opinions on motion control gaming, music (judging from your sig), and forum posters who over-interpret what other people write on here are very compatible. ;)

25. SevenInchScrew macrumors 6502a

SevenInchScrew

http://i.imgur.com/PNU9S.jpg :D

Yes, they are quite excellent. My username, obviously, is a play on their name.