Xbox Live Ethernet Sharing through a Macbook

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by MakeLuv, Jun 11, 2008.

1. MakeLuv macrumors newbie

I have a macbook (10.5.1), and I am trying to share my internet through Airport -> Macbook -> Ethernet Cable -> Xbox 360 to get onto Xbox Live.

-What do I manually put as my IP?
    -Subnet Mask is 255.255.0.0 or is it 255.255.255.0
    -What do I put as my gateway?

Now, every time that my IP has confirmed, the DNS fails. How do I configure this properly?

You're talking about inputting the ip address on the xbox right? With my experience doing internet sharing, the macbook should lease your xbox an ip address therefore the xbox settings should be set to dynamic ip or configure using dhcp. You shouldn't have to set your IP address manually.

3. Excursions macrumors member

It's kind of a female dog and i dont remember all of the specifics right now. The trick is editing the network settings on the mac:

The gateway on the 360 must be set as the ip address of the macbook from your wireless/ethernet connection. Then you need to edit your network settings in the macbook for the ethernet 1 or 2 that is hooked up to the xbox manually.

Use a different number for your ip, for example, 192.168.3.1 if your normal ip is 192.168.2.x. Subnet mask is 255.255.255.0 and router is your routers normal ip address.

Once those settings are applied, enter the ip you put in, 192.168.3.1, into the xbox as it's ip address. I think that's right but if it doesn't work then try adding 1 onto the end of that, so 192.168.3.2.

Obviously make sure you're internet sharing is turned on.

Good luck, it takes some trial and error to get the dns right.

4. MakeLuv thread starter macrumors newbie

I've been to countless websites that all say the same thing. I've followed the steps exactly, but yet the DNS fails. The only thing I could think of is that what I put in as "Gateway" is the same thing I put in as 1st+ 2nd DNS. But that is the number I got!

5. BlkDiamondx macrumors newbie

Im in the same boat....failure every time...honestly have tried everything.... please help....

6. Superman07 macrumors 6502a

I did this through my Windows laptop and everything worked just fine.

Then when I bought my MacMini I figured I could boot the laptop. I read up online, and followed the instructions but something didn't work out right. Part of the problem was the Mac uses a different subnet than the Windows router recognizes so it isn't seamless. Another issue was the Mac wasn't keeping a constant IP address (though that could easily be fixed by making it static).

Honestly, I didn't bother messing with it anymore and have just revered to "automatic" setting through the Windows laptop. Eventually I'll probably just end up with the wireless adapter that Microsoft sells (if I can find a good price - I won't pay MSRP).