Xbox Live Experience problems?

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by whooleytoo, Nov 19, 2008.

1. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

Just "updated" my 360 to the new Live Experience, and it's now officially a paperweight. It was perfectly fine beforehand, now it won't last a minute without freezing up entirely with a checkerboard effect on screen.

The console is out of warranty, I'm going thermonuclear if MS charge me to fix this! :mad:

Anyone have any similar issues?

2. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Not on our 360, but on my friends it did lock up twice in the space of an hour. Nothing serious though.

3. whooleytoo thread starter macrumors 603

whooleytoo

Thanks for the feedback.

It's now RRoD'ing. I find it hard to believe that it's a coincidence that a console that's worked perfectly for months just goes belly up the first time I use the new Xbox Live Experience.

4. whooleytoo thread starter macrumors 603

whooleytoo

Just found this article, from before the NXE release. Sums up my worries fairly well..

--

You know the upcoming New Xbox Experience that has so many people excited for some reason? Turns out that Microsoft call centers are bracing themselves for NXE-induced red rings of death. So while you’re gaining a [fancy?] new user interface you may also be losing an Xbox 360. Fun!

It’s like this: Microsoft is afraid that its Frankenstein of a machine may have trouble “taking,” in a sense, the NXE update. The result of such a rejection could be (emphasis on the “could” as none of this is guaranteed to happen) mass RRODs. And when the system breaks down…

It gets better. You remember the extended warranty that Microsoft offered early last year in order to remedy the original RROD situation? It’s set to expire a few days before the NXE launches—meaning that if the NXE causes a RROD you’re SOL.

Please keep in mind that that is all speculation—there’s no reason to suspect that the NXE will cause mass RRODs. If it does, however, then we’re all in for a treat in the next few weeks.

If I get another RROD—I’ve already had one, last year—then that’s it for me, I’ll quit gaming.

5. whooleytoo thread starter macrumors 603

whooleytoo

Appears the above only applies to those who bought around launch-time. MS will fix mine for free (yay!). Will be 360-less for a fortnight or so.. :eek:

6. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Of course. The three year warranty is from the time of purchase so that article is just plain wrong.

7. whooleytoo thread starter macrumors 603

whooleytoo

It now appears Xbox support has "RRoD"ed.

I received 3 emails today telling me they haven't received my console and do I want to go ahead with the service, but a week ago they confirmed receiving it.

Gave them a call, and they said it was a known problem. The support guy did have to leave to check the status on another machine as they were "having problems".

I also tried registering the console online to track the status, and it told me my country isn't supported(???); also while insisting I live in Connacht no matter how many times I entered "Cork".

I wonder what OS their system runs on.... :p

8. spyker3292 macrumors 65816

A three year warranty? Sweet, I didn't know that. Anyway, I hope they fix their support issues and get you your 360 back and working.

9. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

It's Ireland. What do you expect? :)

Hope you get your problems sorted out soon though. On the plus side when my 360 had the RRoD they sent me a brand new one with a brand new warranty as well. I was pretty pleased with that.

Only for RRoD. All other problems are just on a one year warranty.

10. whooleytoo thread starter macrumors 603

whooleytoo

Yup, two problems in particular seem to plague the 360; the DVD drive failing and the red ring of death. As far as I'm aware, only the red ring of death is covered under the free extended warranty. Call me cynical, but it might be because the units with dud DVD drives have all been through Xbox support and replaced! :)

Cheers! At the end of the call, they mentioned that instead of sending me 3 emails telling me my console never arrived, they meant to send one stating it was fixed and on its way back.

Who knows, I might even get a HDMI model back? (yeah, right!) :p

11. whooleytoo thread starter macrumors 603

whooleytoo

Excellent, would be nice! It's my second repair (first was for DVD drive replacement), so maybe they'll be extra nice?

p.s. Grrrr! With Microsoft & Intel & Apple & everyone else here, isn't Ireland the centre of the silicon universe?

12. spyker3292 macrumors 65816

Sounds good, I've just had mine for..... 8 days now.

13. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Only to the Irish :).

14. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Don't forget Dell... or maybe we should! :D

15. whooleytoo thread starter macrumors 603

whooleytoo

Update - the good news: I have my 360 back, and working. Motherboard & power supply were replaced. There are a couple of dark smudges on the front of the case which weren't there before, so unless that happened during the repair, it's a different console.

Bad news: It's noisy. Even noisier than before - didn't think that was possible. Even when just in the Dashboard, it's as noisy as my previous 360 was while playing a game & DVD drive spinning. And it's inconsistent noise, with the sound rising & falling periodically. Weird. Could they have cranked up the fans, to prevent overheating problems? :confused: