Xbox Live NAT Problem

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by gavd, Dec 1, 2007.

1. gavd macrumors 6502a

My Xbox Live connection has a NAT setting of Strict and I'm trying to get it to Open to make the most of my subscription.

I connect to the net with a BT Voyager 205 modem which feeds into a Airport Extreme Base Station (new version). The Xbox then connects to the wireless network with the Microsoft WiFi adapter.

I've tried port forwarding ports 88 & 3074 which hasn't helped and setting up the Xbox with a static IP address and then setting it up as a DMZ which hasn't worked either.

I've just worked out that my Modem has NAT functionality as well as the AEBS so I'm thinking that could be causing my problems. Has anyone got a similar set up to this? If so, what did you do to get around it?

2. zero2dash macrumors 6502a

zero2dash

See if you can disable the NAT on the modem and leave it on the router only with the ports forwarded, that should do the trick. Yes, you basically have the double NAT problem since both have NATs and I doubt the modem lets you port forward.

3. gavd thread starter macrumors 6502a

OK, I've tried disabling NAT on the modem, but all that does is stop me being able to access the Internet at all. Not sure what else I can try.

4. sycho macrumors 6502a

sycho

Phone your ISP (provided that they gave you your modem) and tell them that you want to bridge your modem, and use your Airport to authenticate / handle the external IP addresses.
    They will walk you through some steps and should give you the needed information for the Airport to get online.

Is this a Cable or DSL connection?

5. gavd thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the suggestion sycho. Unfortunately, the modem wasn't supplied by my ISP and I can't use the one they did give me because it's only a USB interface and doesn't have ethernet which I need for the AEBS.

I'll have a search around the net and see if I can find the info to bridge the modem.

6. SpankyPenzaanz macrumors 6502a

SpankyPenzaanz

I too had a similar problem. I left the modem alone and on the router I enabled port triggering/forwarding on port 88 and I went from Strict NAT to Open NAT. I wish you best of luck.

7. gavd thread starter macrumors 6502a

I've tried forwarding ports 88 and 3074 without any success. I'm now home from work so I think I'm going to see if I can go down the bridging route.

8. GooMan macrumors regular

GooMan

If it is possible I would connect the 360 DIRECTLY to the modem and run the diagnostics and compare the results to what you are seeing now.

I was under the impression that only firmware updates (or switching routers) can change the NAT type.

9. chadrob30 macrumors 6502

chadrob30

You do have the NAT setting as "open" on the 360 itself right? I know, I know, but we have to cover all bases. :)

10. gavd thread starter macrumors 6502a

Not sure what you mean by this so it might be something to follow up on. Can you explain more about what you mean by this?

I never got round to looking at bridging the modem the other day and I doubt I'll get a chance to tonight.

11. gavd thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks chadrob30. The Open NAT setting is what I'm trying to achieve but that's what I'n having problems with. I still need to look at bridging the modem so I'll try and get round to that tonight.

12. SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

13. gavd thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks SamIchi. I actually read your thread as I had a search of the forums before posting. I started a new one mainly because I tried the port forwarding as you suggested, but had no joy with it.

14. gavd thread starter macrumors 6502a

Success!

Well I've managed to get an Open NAT status from setting up my modem into bridge mode. In case anyone else has the same problem I followed these instructions and then set up my AEBS to use PPPoE. Didn't have to do any port forwarding or set up a DMZ.

15. DavariousJacksn macrumors newbie

hi,
    I have an allied telesyn router and i am having trouble changing the NAT from strict to open. I have tried accessing the sights for the other routers but have had no luck. Does anyone know how to change it.

16. link14144 macrumors newbie

same issue.

I have this same issue.
    I cant understand any of this stuff. Is there a really simple way to explain this? or am I just going to have to learn...
    I have a lynksys nr041...No idea about any of this.
    and an imac. if that helps.

17. schiz1994 macrumors newbie

PHP:
    I too had a similar problemI left the modem alone and on the router I enabled port triggering/forwarding on port 88 and I went from Strict NAT to Open NATI wish you best of luck./PHP
    How do you do that?

18. jtmx29 macrumors regular

jtmx29

Make sure you are forwarding ports correctly, and if I remember correctly Xbox Live is UDP not TCP.