Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

98dblachr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 27, 2009
Hi Guys

First post here, got the Macbook a few months ago and this is the first problem with it.

Im using OSX 10.6 (snow leapord) to share my internet connection with a Xbox 360. Internet sharing is set up and Xbox firewall is set to on, but the Nat ditters around with problems connecting to certain hosts.

I have followed many guides on the net, it seems to work for most people just not some others. When I had the windows set up I had no problems and had an open Nat all the time.

Can someone help me please with forwarding the ports in terminal, I think thats what needs doing, maybe just checking them first to see if they are opened and forwarded properly then take it from there.

Thanks

Chris

ClayOtis

macrumors newbie
Nov 27, 2009
super simple workaround

just buy a simple router w/ UPnP and then you can even use Vuze as a media streamer to the xbox. I use TVersity on a WinXP (hisss) box for that, but can be done with macbook and Vuze, for super cheap... for gaming i would recommend a router over whatever Apple's version of "ICS" is. People always complaining about "lag-switching" on XBL have cheesie i-net "rigs".... nab a Linksys WRT54G used on ebay and slap Tomato FW or DD-WRT FW on it... get ya running like a champ. And no reason to complain when little kids knife you in COD (like they do to me). :)

98dblachr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 27, 2009
I have problems connecting to some hosts on Modern Warfare 2. I wont let me connect the the host.

ClayOtis

macrumors newbie
Nov 27, 2009
I have problems connecting to some hosts on Modern Warfare 2. I wont let me connect the the host.

I am new to this site, but talking about xbox connection problems does NOT seem like you are in the right Venue. I replied to the post above mine because they were using ICS on a macbook in their setup... if yer xbox wont connect to game servers, my guess would be a moderator would say this is not a proper place to ask for help of that sort.

I do know, however, that you can call 1-800-4MY-XBOX for MS xbox360 tech support. There are ports you need to forward, my friend had Gears 2 problems like that and he used a magical tool called "GOOGLE" to find out how to fix his issues... i hear google has a buncha answers too. :D :D :apple: :D :D

Superman07

macrumors 6502a
Aug 28, 2007
I'm having the same problem as the OP. I successfully have my Xbox accessing the net through my Mini's shared LAN port. However, I still get "Strict NAT". In an attempt to fix this I forwarded ports in the router, but that still has not fixed the problem. Since I'm sharing the Mac's connection it finally occurred to me that the Mac may actually be blocking the traffic to the Xbox.

I tried adding the UDP and TCP ports through terminal, but same issue.

sudo ipfw add allow UDP from 3074 to 3074
sudo ipfw add allow TCP from 3074 to 3074
sudo ipfw add allow udp from 88 to 88

I attempted to see them added by listing: sudop ipfw list

However, that does not return anything in the terminal window. Apparently Firewall in 10.5 is not very friendly. If I go to add something in advanced it only lets me address applications and not specific ports.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.