XBox Live NAT Type Problem

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by Kahnyl, Nov 18, 2009.

1. Kahnyl macrumors 68000

The multiplayer section of MW2 tells me that my NAT Type is Strict. So I set the DMZ on my router to allow the IP of my Xbox through and it now says the my NAT is Open. Great.

But then I realised that my XBox had a Dynamic IP which would change at some point and disable the DMZ. So I changed it to a static IP using identical settings. I then connected to XBox Live and loaded MW2. It now says my NAT is Strict again.

It appears that even though the settings are identical my NAT type changes depending on whether it's using a dynamic or static IP, even when those IPs are the same.

My DMZ is set to 192.168.0.197. When the IP on the XBOX is manually set to 192.168.0.197 the NAT is strict, but if I switch to automatic and it selects 192.168.0.197 itself, the NAT is Open.

Does anyone have any idea what's going on here?

2. achie25 macrumors 6502

I should have searched before I posted mine as I am having some of the same issues. What is DMZ and how do I set it?

I am clueless :(

3. Kahnyl thread starter macrumors 68000

It should be in or around the 'firewall' section of your router settings. It's basically like turning your firewall off for one single machine.

4. StruckANerve macrumors 6502

That's an odd problem for sure. Are you setting up the static IP for the Xbox before you enable DMZ?

Does your router support UPnP? You might try disabling DMZ and using UPnP instead.