OS X Xbox One Controller in OS X?

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by futurepizza, Aug 7, 2014.

1. futurepizza macrumors newbie

Ive searched far and wide and no one seems to have tried or exhibited an Xbox One controller being used in OSX. Has anyone tried this?

2. lunaoso macrumors 65816

lunaoso

I believe Feral has support for it in some of it's recent games, but I don't believe anyone has anything made to use it universally unfortunately. I'd like to see support soon as well.

3. edddeduck macrumors 68020

edddeduck

Feral support it (the wired version) in all new games starting with Castle Of Illusion. No open source drivers have been updated yet for wider support.

4. futurepizza thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks fore the respsonses. So can I assume this means theres no support for Steam games or for the matter things like steam's in home streaming in OSX?

5. edddeduck macrumors 68020

edddeduck

It would depend on the game however I am not aware of any other Mac games with XBONE pad support right now.

6. MacGillicuddy, Sep 8, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2014

MacGillicuddy macrumors newbie

7. saturnotaku macrumors 68000

8. edddeduck macrumors 68020

edddeduck

I don't think it needs all this kickstarter work from scratch, some modifications to the tattiebogle driver would get you pretty much all the major support required as the protocol on the 360 pad and the XBONE are the same, adding rumble trigger support etc might be some extra work but this is not impossible or required.

I totally don't have the spare time to work on adding the support in myself but someone who has a USB XBONE and some programming experience should be able to get it working without it being too much time and effort.

9. diafebus macrumors newbie

10. Liberty. macrumors 6502

Did the Xbox 360 controller worked without installating a separate driver?

11. edddeduck macrumors 68020

edddeduck

Usually you need a driver but with Feral's latest games have a new feature to support XBox pads without any drivers needed.

12. Liberty. macrumors 6502

Thanks for the info!

13. FranticRain macrumors newbie

I just finished a driver for the Xbox One controller for Mac OS X. You can check it out at: https://github.com/FranticRain/Xone-OSX

Unlike that Kickstarter, its free and has no licensing fee! They deleted my comment on Kickstarter though, so tell your friends.

14. lunaoso macrumors 65816

lunaoso

Nice work! I'll be trying it out when I get a chance! Thanks so much!

15. Pacwell macrumors member

I am completely ignorant and this is over my head on how to get this working. ;)

16. robE89 macrumors regular

Looks like xbox one controller started working in latest yosemite, i was just surprised to see the white led turning on :cool:

17. mario-64 macrumors regular

You mean Yosemite has built-in drivers for the xbox one controller?

18. Rhei macrumors member

Is this only for the wired Xbox One controller or for the included wireless controller as well? These drivers always kind of confused me on which incarnation of controller they were for.

19. edddeduck macrumors 68020

edddeduck

I don't believe Yosemite has any Xbox support, I know Apple haven't mention it at all in any documentation and our Xbox One pads are not working in OS X only in our games (as we have built in support now).

There is no support for the wireless pad as no wireless dongle exists yet (for Windows or Mac).

20. robE89 macrumors regular

I fired up grid 2 this weekend and i played it with my controller, need to check other games

21. creddy07 macrumors newbie

Possible & free

Check out my video on how to use the Xbox One Controller on MAC OS X :) Link: http://youtu.be/e2iLn3Jfcwk

22. VPG macrumors newbie

23. Ficus macrumors newbie

Thanks a lot for the work, as I see it is regulary updated (last update: 2nd January 2015). However, I installed the package from this link:

https://github.com/FranticRain/Xone-OSX/releases/tag/v0.4.0

rebooted the mac, and nothing happens. The xbox1 controller does nothing, and it is not recognized in any game. Is there anything I can do to make it work?

edit: it looks like the driver is for OS 10.9+, while I have installed the 10.7.5. Probably this is the reason.

in the description in that link, there is a sentence:

the "check the releases page" is a link: click on it to reach the installing package.

24. LionSoleil macrumors newbie

I installed it from the very same link and am playing Dirt 2 right now with my Xbox one Controller on macbook retina with Yosemite. However, there is an update to v.1 that I tried and it didn't work for me. I haven't tried on a different game yet. Hope this will help.

25. Eightarmedpet macrumors regular

Eightarmedpet

A wired xbox controller works with steam, just look for the controller support icon.