XBox One - Not Collector or Future Friendly

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by musicpenguy, May 24, 2013.

1. musicpenguy macrumors 6502a

I wanted to put out this question. It seems like the XBox One will require some sort of authentication or license key to play the discs you put into it. Not entirely sure on that, but that is what it is sounding like.

What will playing the XBox One be like in 30 years when Microsoft shuts down those servers?

Will this box be utterly useless when it becomes a vintage gaming console?

I just starting collecting N64 carts and the cool thing is I can actually track down and buy all 300 some games (laughably small number I know). I enjoy that I can still play consoles that are decades upon decades old. Heck NES and SNES still work and are fun experiences.

The PS4 I don't think will have this same requirement and the Wii U doesn't either. The XBox One seems like it won't live much past its mainstream lifespan - or am I wrong - would love some feedback on this!

2. TedM macrumors 6502

They really screwed the used games department that's for sure. I mean you're essentially doing something similar with the n64, just when you buy the games for the xbox one, used or not you'll have to pay a bit more. Not really happy with the xbox one yet. There is still time though.

3. musicpenguy thread starter macrumors 6502a

The real problem is if it is a license key that needs to talk to a server for activation then when that server is no longer active - that system is dead for gaming.

When the XBox One is a retro system it will be useless - unless I'm misunderstanding how XBox One treats physical media and installation.

4. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

Yep, the console REQUIRES a once per 24 hour check-in and the game is installed on the hard disk to be accessed by the users account only.

When you sell the game or trade it in, the unit figures out on the next install and the game is taken off of your console.

Microsoft and the game developer will take a cut of the profit on a used game when it is installed on the new user's hard disk.

This will cause the price of used games to go up.

Here's the article clarifying:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-10805_3-5...edly-to-take-cut-on-used-xbox-one-game-sales/

5. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Same as the current Xbox 360. Once they decide to switch off the 360 servers there goes your download collection, it's not a good system when it's married to high hardware failure rates (I'm still using my original 360).
    It's quite sobering this. I won't be buying any more Xbox games. Sad to think that once they stop manufacturing Xbox 360's and the servers are off, all those games are gone into the ether.

6. fortunecookie macrumors regular

fortunecookie

Well Adobe just gave their old apps away maybe Microsoft will do the same?

7. Richdmoore macrumors 65816

Richdmoore

One problem is that Microsoft doesn't really own all their games, except for the in house developed ones. For example, while they may give away Halo, they can't give away Doom 3 without Id software's permission.

I am guessing that we will see about the same as happened to original xbox games. After the servers were turned off, if you wanted the DLC you have to modify the xbox hardware/software & games so they work with cracked codes & dlc obtained from shady web sites.

Hopefully one final patch late in the xbox one's life cycle will turn off the phone home DRM, to help vintage collectors, but I doubt we can count on Microsoft doing that.

----------

I also have an original Fat Xbox 360, running great so far but very loud.

I think I need to actually purchase a new one once the xbox one comes out because of the tendency for the fat xbox units to break. (Hopefully the price will drop to less than $100 for a core slim model.)

8. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

What will happen is that MS will come out with Xbox Two(?) "enhanced" versions of those games which must be purchased again to work on that console...

XBox 360 is definitely the end of vintage gaming for MS as they can turn off XB1 games with a simple switch....

From a collector's standpoint, get XBox consoles, XBox 360's, and games while you can...