XBox One - Profanity Blocker Idea ...

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by musicpenguy, Jul 19, 2013.

1. musicpenguy macrumors 6502a

I had this crazy idea ... what if Microsoft offered parents a way to make sure their kids weren't exposed to curing etc. The Kinnect could listen to both the child and the people being played with to detect cursing.

If your kid is cursing it puts your kid in a one hour time out - where the system is unusable for gaming. If the opponents are cursing it could either mute them or kick them out of a child safe part of the live community.

Seems something simple to implement - MSoft would just have to learn what words to listen for.

Thoughts?
    Tim
    TheNintendoClubPodcast.com

2. poe diddley macrumors regular

Not bad actually, BUT, every kid with half a brain cell will figure out how to get around or disable it as soon as the parents leave the room. I could only see it being effective for those under 10, and that's IF the parents are wise enough to enable it.
    However, I don't want any kind of filtering nonsense to ever pop up in the adults section so its something that they would have to be very careful with.
    Probably the absolute worst things about playing online is the little kiddies that somehow end up playing adult games. Nothing worse than hearing little chipmunk voices when you're trying to snipe your buddy.

3. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

1: Children could unlock the secret of life - if it were somehow a profanity filter. They will - always - find a way to get around it.

2: South Park the movie comes to mind - with the vast majority of first person shooters - ultra realistic violent game play - but nobody says any naughty words. :D

4. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

It isn't just swearing that's the problem, it's just expressive words we attach values to. It's attitudes like this; http://flygirlgamers.com/game-on-ladies/ that stopped me from renewing my XBLG subscription.

5. Apple fanboy macrumors Core

Apple fanboy

My experience with Kinnect voice recognition has not been that great. Maybe it's better suited to non English accents? I could see it putting people in time out for using words not on the list.
    And as others have said, older kids would just have a work around.

6. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

Actually, since high speed internet was first to come to our city, I was able to be a Beta Tester for XBox Live.

It was awesome as the game was driving some model car around shooting at other players. It was so new and everyone had fun.

Then, when XBox Live went production, it was like night and day - constant profanity. I see why some people I know will only play with people they know.

Another thing is that small kids are allowed to play adult games. Sure some places check ID's, but all too often I see an older sibling with to buy the game for them. Also, even younger kids in the same family play the game since it is in the house.

Pretty sad...

(I have a feeling this thread will need to be moved to the PRS forum....)

7. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

It's a dumb idea. Last thing I wanted as a kid was my parents even touching my PS2, never mind controlling it. Parents should focus on bringing their kids up not to swear (or at least understanding the importance of using it appropriately), not relying on their toys to do it for them.

As if Kinect watching you all the time wasn't enough.

8. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Great idea, because we can't have kids cursing while playing such wholesome games like Call of Duty, Gears of War and Grand Theft Auto.

9. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

Besides - even without voice chat, text, or pictures... people still get creative.

Pulled from Wikipedia... On "Tea Bag"

"In video games

Mimicking the act, by repeatedly crouching over a fallen enemy, has become a popular taunt in multiplayer first person shooter video games and platform games, to imply domination, humiliation, or as a teasing joke.[13] Although considered to be bad sportsmanship, its use has become widespread in gaming.[15]"

Hard to make a filter to remove that.