Xbox Play and Charge on Macbook Pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by b_scott, Apr 13, 2008.

1. b_scott macrumors 6502a

b_scott

Plugging in my 360 controller yields no power. it flashes green for a split second then nothing. Plugged in and on batteries. Is there any way to get more power to the USB port, or is that even the problem? Thanks!

2. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

if power is the problem, get a powered USB hub.

3. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

right plug or left plug?

the left plug sucks

4. b_scott thread starter macrumors 6502a

b_scott

that defeats the purpose of the convenience of plugging into my laptop. i can plug them straight into the Xbox 360 but it's not sitting on my coffee table.

5. b_scott thread starter macrumors 6502a

b_scott

either.

6. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

ive noticed the MBP usb ports are underpowered they have trouble spinning up an external HD that my PC has no problems with, also ive noticed the left plug has issues running my external sound blaster

7. WeedJedi macrumors newbie

The Xbox 360 Play and charge kit can ONLY be used with a 360. Even trying to charge it will not work. Only a Windows 360 Controller with-out a battery pack or using the new 360 Wireless Dongle for PCs can be used with a Mac/PC.

8. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

I understand where your coming from dude. This is the only reason i choose FW drives and enclosures, over cheap USB counterparts..

9. alisoul macrumors newbie

perhaps we have different models or i am misunderstanding you, but my 360 controller charges fine via USB on my pc.. have never tried on my MBP though.

10. swmr macrumors regular

swmr

Yea mine works okay on my PC too, and I have read about drivers to use it as an external game controller on both PC and Mac. I don't see why the USB wouldn't charge it on a Mac, but maybe it just isn't supported.

11. Dsr1205 macrumors 6502

um, excuse me, but i plugged the thing into my wii and my computer and it charged so...

12. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

because the MBP usb ports are under-powered

13. Cubs macrumors newbie

There's not really such a thing as a "windows 360 controller". The package that you are referring to is a REGULAR 360 wired controller that includes drivers on a CD (which can also be downloaded for FREE on the internet).

And for reference, mine charges fine on my HP laptop.

14. bclayton88 macrumors newbie

you know that the play and charge cord with a wireless controller does not actually create a usb connection...it just powers the controller and connects to your xbox wirelessly...in order for your controller to work you must have the wireless receiver dongle

15. b_scott thread starter macrumors 6502a

b_scott

must just be underpowered. how do they expect you to be completely portable if you need to have powered usb drives, etc?