XBOX / PS3 on ACD?

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by Lycanthrope, Nov 7, 2008.

1. Lycanthrope macrumors 6502a

Lycanthrope

Hi All

I've read numerous forums looking for the answer to this but didn't find any real consensus.

The question it, I have an ACD 23", can I plug either and XBOX or PS3 into this monitor? I realise I may need some kind of adapter but has anyone got it to work yet.

Thanks
    DAB

2. XianPalin macrumors 6502

XianPalin

Don't see why it wouldn't work. I know you can get a VGA cable for a 360, you'd have to get some sort of vga to dvi adapter (most generally go dvi to vga I believe), and as long as you set the resolution to something the monitor can handle it should be fine.

The ps3 would need an hdmi to dvi adapter, not sure how that would work out. Definitely make sure you're getting the right adapters as the common ones go the opposite direction of what you're looking for.

Unfortunately I don't have any experience actually doing it, but figured I'd give a little advice on the connectors. Would probably just be easier to buy a small/used tv that has component input after it's all said and done.

3. Lycanthrope thread starter macrumors 6502a

Lycanthrope

That's the problem - there are plenty of posts on forums with people saying "it should work" but none actually saying yes it does or not it doesn't :confused:

4. spyker3292 macrumors 65816

You could just get a nice monitor from a different brand. Some have HDMI ports in them.

5. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

The 360 has a VGA cable so you're good to go on pretty much all monitors ('cept the ACD). The PS3 will need adapters.

Crying shame these systems don't have DVI options.

6. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

NO!! It will not work directly. Full stop.

Having plenty of first hand experience in this matter, there is NO way of getting your 360 or PS3 to run on an ACD without the need to buy a hideously expensive breakout box which will set you back around $300-400. For which price you can buy a 24" Monitor that will work.

7. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

Would a HDMI to DVI cable work?

8. xkRoWx macrumors regular

xkRoWx

I used a Belkin HDMI to DVI cable to connect my XBOX 360 to my Samsung SyncMaster T220. It should work, unless someone has the balls to tell me that ACDs are different. All you probably need is a adapter or cable to connect the console to your ACD.

Now that I've connected the console to my monitor, I don't have any sound! Can someone help me out here?

9. xkRoWx macrumors regular

xkRoWx

I used a Belkin HDMI to DVI cable to connect my XBOX 360 to my Samsung SyncMaster T220. It should work, unless someone has the balls to tell me that ACDs are different. All you probably need is a adapter or cable to connect the console to your ACD.

Now that I've connected the console to my monitor, I don't have any sound! Can someone help me out here?

10. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

ACD's ARE DIFFERENT!!! a HDMI to DVI cable will not work on an ACD

Also remember ACD's DO NOT HAVE A SCALER built in either.

With the Syncmaster Ranger of monitors (I also have a T260) in order to get sound from your HDMI source you have to connect a SPDIF or 3mm Jack Analog Line Out from the monitor to external speakers. As opposed to what the packaging would have you believe, the Syncmaster do not have speakers on the monitor themselves.

11. stainlessliquid macrumors 68000

A 360 with HDMI is the only option (assuming the 360 doesnt force HDCP through hdmi with games). A PS3 will NOT work because the PS3 uses HDCP with everything on HDMI, the ACD doesnt have HDCP.

A VGA>DVI converter is so expensive that you might as well get a cheap Dell monitor, and an HDCP stripper is even more expensive. Do not think youve found a loophole in the system by buying a vga/dvi adapter, it is not the same thing, those are for going from DVI-I on a computer to VGA, special DVI ports on computers are capable of carrying an analog signal. Going from analog to digital is expensive no matter what you have.

Sound is not an issue, you can configure your console's audio seperately from the video, so you can still use RCA for audio if you want (at least thats how it works on PS3)