Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

adamtoone

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 13, 2010
Hi i want to record Xbox footage on my xbox.

once recorded have on my imac and edit with effects and music and upload to my channel on Youtube??

what programs should i use that are the best ??

many thanks

adam

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
Do you want to record your XBox gameplay on the XBox or on the iMac?

Recording with Hauppauge HD PVR
Elgato Video Capture device

In the end, you need a capture card connected via USB or if you have a miniDV camcorder with video input, you could loop the video through the camcorder or record to it.
Then use iMovie to edit the footage.

Btw, your signature uses the capital "I" for the i-devices, though Apple uses a lower case "i". Examples: iMac, iPod, iPhone, iPad

adamtoone

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 13, 2010
Do you want to record your XBox gameplay on the XBox or on the iMac?

Recording with Hauppauge HD PVR
Elgato Video Capture device

In the end, you need a capture card connected via USB or if you have a miniDV camcorder with video input, you could loop the video through the camcorder or record to it.
Then use iMovie to edit the footage.

Btw, your signature uses the capital "I" for the i-devices, though Apple uses a lower case "i". Examples: iMac, iPod, iPhone, iPad

want to record my xbox gameplay then get it on my imac and edit it there..need to know what software to use to edit the footage and add effects n music to then put it on youtube ?

so i need to know what software is the best to use to edit video ???

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
want to record my xbox gameplay then get it on my imac and edit it there..need to know what software to use to edit the footage and add effects n music to then put it on youtube ?

so i need to know what software is the best to use to edit video ???

iMovie, as already mentioned. Or if you want to spend some money, either get Final Cut Express or Premiere Elements. And if you want to spend some more money, or maybe are a student or teacher, you can get academic/student versions of After Effects (for that effect work) and/or Adobe Premiere or even Avid Media Composer.
You can also take a look at Final Cut Studio, but all the applications I mentioned, besides FCE and iMovie, might be a bot overkill for editing XBox footage.

adamtoone

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 13, 2010
iMovie, as already mentioned. Or if you want to spend some money, either get Final Cut Express or Premiere Elements. And if you want to spend some more money, or maybe are a student or teacher, you can get academic/student versions of After Effects (for that effect work) and/or Adobe Premiere or even Avid Media Composer.
You can also take a look at Final Cut Studio, but all the applications I mentioned, besides FCE and iMovie, might be a bot overkill for editing XBox footage.

so what do you think would be best to do ?

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
so what do you think would be best to do ?

For YouTube: iMovie and if you want more effects, maybe FCE. But anything beyond that, just for YouTube, would be overkill.
Just start with iMovie, and if that limits you at some point, you can always upgrade. No point in shelling out money for an editing solution if one is on your Mac.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.