Xcode 3.2.5 and build problem

Discussion in 'Mac Programming' started by quanganhct, Mar 21, 2011.

1. quanganhct macrumors member

I recently have a scholar project about making game "Mummy". At first my prof just demand an algorithm, so i made it in text interface like this :

| +-----+-+---+--+--------------++++-++++---------
    |J| |X| | | ++++M++++ X
    | | --- --+ -+ +- | | | --+ +-+- X+
    | | | |X | | |XXX| +X --- | |
    | | +-- +-+ +X XX | | | --+ + | | ---+
    | | | | +-+- -+ | | -+ X-++ X X|
    | | | | | |X |X| --- | | + +X| ++ +X++ +XX -+
    | | | | +- X |X| X +XXX+-+ ++ ++ --
    | |X| ++ ++ +++XX| --
    +---+-+---------------------++-++------+++--+--V

After that, the prof told me that since i have free time, i better off implement a graphic interface.
    And then i choose SDL for my project ('cause it's cross-platform, since I use Mac at home, but they use Ubuntu and Win in my school). Following the tutorials over Internet, everything was neat up to now, but, when i try to run it in Ubuntu or window, it's not working. The file .app in the directory "Debug" is treated as it's a directory but an executable file. So now i don't know what to do. What must I do to make it run in Ubuntu or Window ? Plz help me

Thanks in advance.

NGUYEN Quang Anh

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

cross-platform doesn't mean that the compiled object code or executable will run on all three platforms. (Mach-O/.app for OS X, EXE for Windows, COFF/ELF for Linux/Unix...) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_executable_file_formats

It usually means that the source code can be taken to the other OS and recompiled there to the right kind of executable. In some cases you may be able to cross-compile on one system for the others, but that requires far more work than just moving the source code and recompiling.

B

3. quanganhct thread starter macrumors member

Oh, so i must copy all the files, then recompile them, right ?

Thanks alot