Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
XCode is normally free, and since Lion was released today, it would make sense that the Lion version of XCode leaves beta and becomes free today as well.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
XCode is normally free, and since Lion was released today, it would make sense that the Lion version of XCode leaves beta and becomes free today as well.

But Apple was charging for Xcode 4. At least they did in Snow Leopard's App Store, it was $5. Even online, it is only available through the $99 registered developer program.

Takuro

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2009
X Code has always been free. Not all versions are always publicly available because Apple wants to create an incentive to become a paid member of the Apple Developer Community. But I have *never* seen a specific pricetag associated with the software itself.

vodouman

macrumors regular
Mar 30, 2008
London
X Code has always been free. Not all versions are always publicly available because Apple wants to create an incentive to become a paid member of the Apple Developer Community. But I have *never* seen a specific pricetag associated with the software itself.

You are incorrect. Xcode 4 was available prior to today as a paid download via the MAS. I can confirm this because I bought it back in March.

mrapplegate

macrumors 68030
Feb 26, 2011
Cincinnati, OH

xcode was about $5 in the app store before today. Free today with the 4.1 release. Always free with a paid developer account.

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
xcode was about $5 in the app store before today. Free today with the 4.1 release. Always free with a paid developer account.

Ah, yes, that is right. I can't remember if xcode 4 was free with free developer accounts though as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.