Resolved XCode 4.2.1 crash issues

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by olliea95, Jan 18, 2012.

1. olliea95, Jan 18, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2012

olliea95 macrumors regular

olliea95

Hi guys. I've recently started having some issues with XCode crashing when developing iOS apps. This hasn't been as a result of an update to XCode or OS X but I cannot recall what I have done to cause this problem.

Whenever I open the storyboard file in an iOS project, I get an error saying:
    'Interface Builder Cocoa Touch Tool quit Unexpectedly'. (I'll attach full error logs at the end of the post). The same error pops up if I try to build the app as well.

Developing Mac Cocoa Applications however all runs without a hitch, no issue there.

It looks like I am missing several core frameworks for the iOS SDK. When I run the command
    Code:
    /Developer/Platforms/iPhoneSimulator.platform/Developer/Library/Xcode/Agents/Interface\ Builder\ Cocoa\ Touch\ Tool
    from terminal I get the error message
    Code:
    dyld: Library not loaded: /System/Library/Frameworks/CoreText.framework/CoreText
      Referenced from: /Developer/Platforms/iPhoneSimulator.platform/Developer/Library/Xcode/Agents/Interface Builder Cocoa Touch Tool
      Reason: image not found
    Trace/BPT trap: 5
    as well as the standard quit unexpectedly pop up.

I have tried:
    - Completely removing XCode using sudo /Developer/Library/uninstall-devtools –mode=all
    - Reinstalling XCode using the file on developer.apple.com instead of the App Store.
    - Running the command sudo update_dyld_shared_cache -force
    - Running the OS X 10.7.2 Combo update file.
    - Manually searching for and placing the frameworks it complains that I am missing. This was working fine until it complained about one that I couldn't find.
    - Changing my PATH to only include the unix paths (not brew/macports/fink ones).

Is there any way I can fix the missing frameworks without reinstalling OS X.

Obviously I've done something to make this suddenly start to malfunction. I thought it would be some C library (i.e. Boost) I've installed with Brew/MacPorts but I've removed those to no avail.

Logs
    XCode internal error: http://pastebin.com/rv9LYyHn
    XCode quit unexpectedly: http://pastebin.com/Fe5rqNzT
    Interface Builder Cocoa Touch Tool quit unexpectedly: http://pastebin.com/sRZH8VU1
    Console logs: http://pastebin.com/7ekVSwGB

I really hope someone can help. If anyone else has experienced this issue and managed to solve it I would massively appreciate your input. I'm sure that a reinstall of OS X will solve the problem but that is a last resort.

Many thanks in advance,
    Ollie Armstrong

2. PhoneyDeveloper macrumors 68030

PhoneyDeveloper

I have no file at

/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreText.framework/CoreText

and if I launch the tool with the command you show I get the same error. But IB works fine from inside Xcode. So I think this is a red herring.

I think the problem more likely is that your storyboard is somehow corrupt. Can you build a new one that works?

3. olliea95 thread starter macrumors regular

olliea95

Thanks the reply, appreciate your input. However I have already tried creating a new project, thus creating a new story board file. If you don't have it , then maybe my XCode is looking in the wrong place for it? Seeing as it does exist elsewhere (can't remember the exact path but a spotlight finds it).

Cheers,
    Ollie

4. PhoneyDeveloper macrumors 68030

PhoneyDeveloper

5. olliea95 thread starter macrumors regular

olliea95

You, sir, are a god. I completely forgot about asepsis. I remove it using the uninstalled featured on its GitHub page and now Xcode is working perfectly.

Thank you so much!

6. PhoneyDeveloper macrumors 68030

PhoneyDeveloper

You and my mother agree.