XCode 4 install weirdness, please help

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by deadkennedy, Mar 27, 2011.

1. deadkennedy macrumors 6502

I'm paid developer program member and I attempted an install through Mac AppStore, the journey goes like this.

1. I click buy in AppStore and the download begins, I don't do anything in few days.

2. I get an email with receipt which reminds me to go and check out the new awesome XCode.

3. I open the XCode only to find out it's still the old 3.2.2 version.

4. I search the entire computer, no XCode 4.

5. I Google for the problem and find an article that says you should have the "Install XCode.app" somewhere, which is very odd but still, I went searching for it and it isn;t anywhere on my machine.

6. I go to Apple site and try to download manually.
    http://developer.apple.com/xcode/
    I get: Access Denied
    And "please contact ADC support team"

7. I click "please contact ADC support team" and get
    "We're sorry, this page could not be found"

8. I go back to my email receipt and theres a link "report a problem"
    After first opening the link, I get into iTunes, where again I hit "report a problem", and I end up on this generic 'Bugger Off' page.
    http://www.apple.com/uk/support/mac/app-store/applications/

Which is there only to annoy you so much that you'll never ever even dare thinking of requesting support.

So, a simple question, where is XCode 4 and how to install it? In my AppStore it still says Buy (and not Installed), but since Apple made such crap out of it I do not want to pay them 5 times and find out that it still didn't install properly.

Thanks.

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

After Xcode successfully downloads, you will find an application named Install Xcode in your Applications folder. If for some reason you have not yet successfully downloaded the software, the App Store knows whether or not you paid for it. It will not double-charge you.

3. deadkennedy thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks, it's just hard to trust Apple these days due to their sloppiness and greed.

4. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

If you believe that Apple's price for Xcode is too high, then buy Visual Studio and develop for Windows.

5. deadkennedy thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok, I bought it again and the "install" seems to start but actually when I hover over it it says XCode - Waiting.... Three hours have now passed since I tried. Does it usually take that long to even begin a download?

p.s.: VS is not available for Mac I believe, otherwise yes, it's much better value for money than XCode. I mean at least it installs and you can work and get paid.

6. Stella macrumors 604

Stella

And you need to have that 4GB installer in your applications directory when you want to get the latest XCode 4.

Move it to another drive - but when you want to upgrade, move it back to /Applications again.

7. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

If you are an actual developer you would know how to install an app, or to contact Apple for support. Maybe you should take the free Mac 101 course first.

8. deadkennedy thread starter macrumors 6502

If you'd actually be a Consultant you wouldn't be a troll. Have something to say on the topic of installing XCode?