Xcode 4 preview given to WWDC attendees only?

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by ethana, Jun 7, 2010.

1. ethana macrumors 6502a

Xcode 4 preview given to WWDC attendees only?

"In June 2010 at the World Wide Developers Conference, it was announced during the Developer Tools State of the Union address that the newest version of Xcode would be released. The new version of the developer tools consolidates the Xcode editing tools and Interface Builder into a single application, among other enhancements."

Is this true?

If so this really pisses me off as they were sold out at WWDC before I could get tickets.

Can someone please upload a copy for me?

Ethan

2. NickVellios macrumors member

It's available for download for paid iPhone developers. It was down for a while today, but back up now!

3. ethana thread starter macrumors 6502a

I am a paid developer. I'm talking about Xcode 4 preview, not iOS 4. Xcode 4 is not on the developer portal the last time I looked.

4. NickVellios macrumors member

5. kainjow Moderator emeritus

kainjow

http://developer.apple.com/wwdc/news/monday.html

According to recent tweets, IB is integrated directly into Xcode, no longer a separate app. Git support has been added. I'm sure additional features/screenshots will be leaked in the next day or so.

6. GorillaPaws macrumors 6502a

GorillaPaws

Personally, I think it's a bunch of bull that it's not released to all paid developers (unpaid I can kind-of understand, but not really). Since Xcode isn't really a consumer-facing product, I'm not sure what they have to loose by releasing something that may be a bit rough-around-the-edges to the developer community. It's more people finding/reporting bugs, and presumably will result in better apps written faster which can only improve the platforms.

7. ethana thread starter macrumors 6502a

AGREED! Someone at WWDC needs to torrent it and get it to Paid devs!

8. john7jr macrumors regular

Traditionally, paid devs get WWDC releases about a week or so after WWDC. Attendees usually get it first as part of their ticket price.

Patience.

=)

9. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Yes, please encourage them to violate their NDA so that you can get it sooner than you should.

10. GorillaPaws macrumors 6502a

GorillaPaws

I'm all for attendees getting exclusive bonuses, but Apple shouldn't deprive others (who are paying to have access to the latest/greatest) time with a new productivity tool in order to create artificial scarcity which they exploit to make attendees feel special.

Attendees should feel special: they should get time with engineers, early hardware, swag, other surprises etc. This is asinine, especially since it's NDAed-- we can't even read what the new features are, without relying on people breaking their agreement.

11. admanimal macrumors 68040

Exactly, and then in the future, no one at all will get prerelease software! Everybody wins! Oh wait...

12. GorillaPaws macrumors 6502a

GorillaPaws

You've got this backwards. If there wasn't a WWDC, then all paid developers would have access to this. They need people banging their code against it in order to find the bugs and get it ready for final release.

13. kainjow Moderator emeritus

kainjow

14. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

I'm sure Apple is satisfied with the attendees being the first to test this beta, with more widespread testing later on.