Xcode 4 question

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by Zord, Mar 9, 2011.

1. Zord macrumors 6502

Zord

Do I need to delete my Developer folder to install Xcode 4?

I've never went about upgrading Xcode before.

Thanks!

2. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

If you want to preserve your current Xcode 3 installation (which might be a good idea), you should probably install it elsewhere (or move Xcode 3 somewhere where Xcode 4 won't wipe it out).

3. Stella macrumors 604

Stella

XCode 4 installer will move your existing /Developer directory to /Developer-old.

4. Zord thread starter macrumors 6502

Zord

5. bredell macrumors regular

Are you sure? It didn't for me. When I upgraded to XCode 4 it replaced XCode 3 completely.

6. Stella macrumors 604

Stella

The directory is there, I'll check if it was actually created by installing Xcode 4 - I dont remember it being there beforehand though.

( My xcode 4 was via appstore )

7. jnoxx macrumors 65816

jnoxx

Don't install Xcode 4, it's killing me, literly.
    I have a macbook with the top I7 (before sandy bridge).
    4 gigs ram, 1600 mhz. So one of top Macbook Pro's from 4 months ago.
    And it doesn't load Xcode 4, it's slow, has memory leaks (if u run it for long time, it will leak RAM.) So eventually ur pc will slow down alot when ur doing the simpliest things. Damn, thinking of going back to 3.2.5

8. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Interesting. I have Xcode 4 running on my 2008 MacBook Pro (4GB RAM, 2.4GHz C2D) and it runs fine.

9. rdas7 macrumors regular

rdas7

I've got the same problem. 2008 MacBook Pro (unibody), 10.6.6 and 6GB RAM. If I launch xcode4 my machine all but dies until I force quit it. Activity Monitor shows 20MB RAM free (that's MB not GB). Any solutions?

10. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

It's running OK for me (Early 2010 15" MBP, 2.4GHz i5, 8Gb RAM). It is using a lot of RAM though (2.36Gb of Real RAM right now).

11. Solublepeter, Mar 15, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 13, 2012

Solublepeter macrumors newbie

Solublepeter

Same here

Same here, it runs terribly slowly now.

I like most of the code changes in Xcode 4, but it crawls on my mac mini. I had no problems with XCode 3 previously, that was nice and fast when using the simulator.

Hmm. I just spotted that it wont compile for my iPhone either (could not load inserted library /usr/lib/libgmalloc.dylib)

Peter Johnson

12. jnoxx macrumors 65816

jnoxx

I fixed it, by installing 3.2.6, because it supports 4.3, and that's only thing i cared for lol :)
    I have 3.2.5, 3.2.6 and Xcode 4, but only using 3.x, works great :apple:

13. ArtOfWarfare macrumors 604

ArtOfWarfare

At first I thought it was the simulator bogging my iMac down, but consulting activity monitor revealed it was XCode 4.

It didn't leave XCode 3 anywhere on my computer, it completely wiped it out. While some of the new features look cool (I like the GUI for what used to be unwieldy property lists,) I dislike the new program a lot... I hate the red underlines trying to say I've done something wrong, because I haven't and it all compiles and runs fine (better, in fact, than XCode 4 itself does.) Then the all in one interface... I'll admit all the windows maybe got unwieldy sometime, but I dislike that the new interface is trying to show you all kinds of crap when most of the time you don't need to see it at all... IE, why does it spring up my NSLog Output even if it's blank while I'm trying to write code? And going to the all in one was totally unnecessary to fix Interface Builder... IB needed to act smarter and check for new files on its own, and to save files when XCode compiles... IB and XC should be best friends, not one person with two heads.

Bleh

14. 1458279 Suspended

Only had one crash when I was starting a new project, otherwise it's been great: I7 950 4G.

15. jnoxx macrumors 65816

jnoxx

I did a complete format, and reinstall of Xcode 4.0.2 and i'm still having trouble, sometimes in IB, that it starts slowing really own, all i have to do, is force quit Xcode, and then reboot..
    Makes me sad, but whatever.

16. Sykte macrumors regular

07 mac pro here, no problems to report.

17. dantastic macrumors 6502

dantastic

I've a 2008 iMac and xcode 4 is a disaster. Haven't seen my 'ol friend the beach ball this often since I was on a G4.

Not to mention that for some reason, about 50% of the time, when I close a project xCode crashes.

I really dislike the new GUI. That you can't pop out the console for instance is madness. I've a dual screen setup and I find xcode 4 to be restricting my work more than anything else.

will probably go back when I have time to do so.

18. lloyddean macrumors 6502a

Just a remote possibility but try using 'Font Book.app' to validate all of your fonts.

19. Sykte macrumors regular

I'll try it on an original mini I have unplugged, what version of MacOSX are you running? I currently have it running on a 2010 IMac 27 and a 2007 Mac Pro without problems.