Xcode 4

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by saberahul, Jun 17, 2011.

1. saberahul macrumors 68040

This might be a stupid question but if I bought xcode 4 from the Mac App Store right now - will i be able to develop apps for the iOS 5 or am I restricted to iOS4? Also, whenever xcode 5 comes out - will it be a separate purchase?

2. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

I believe that XCode from the Mac App Store is the most current release and should be fine for developing for iOS 5, I don't recall Apple releasing a beta version of XCode to developers.

3. slayer1551 macrumors member

slayer1551

Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe Xcode 4.2 is the latest for iOS5 and is available from the Dev Center under iOS SDK Beta so you do need to be a registered developer but as soon as it becomes public in the fall you shouldnt have a problem making iOS5 stuff, Xcode should just get updated for free :)

4. vultureboy macrumors member

vultureboy

There is a beta version of Xcode for developers just as there always is. However, the Xcode in the appstore is not the current Developer Beta (for obvious reasons, it's a beta)

If you download the Appstore Xcode you will be able to write applications for iOS5 however you will not be able to use some of the new iOS features until iOS5 (and Xcode) are officially released.

Basically what i'm trying to say is, anything you write in appstore Xcode will be compatible with iOS 5 but you just can't use the new iOS5 features. I think that makes sense, i've only just woken up!

5. VPrime macrumors 68000

VPrime

Xcode5 is quite far in the dstance... Dnt even worry about it. The xcode versin number doesnt match ios version...

Also, with just xcode you can make apps but only test them in a simulator. To actually run the apps on a phone and get it in the appstore you have to become part of the ios developer program which costs $99

6. gks macrumors 6502

Xcode 4.2 which is in beta allows for iOS5 development.

Xcode 4.0 is in the app store (i think it's 4.0, might be 4.1) and that can only develop apps for iOS4.

As someone said, iOS4 apps are still compatible (mostly) with iOS 5.

Here are some other things you should know.

If you buy Xcode on the App Store, you will NOT be able to submit apps to the store to sell. You will NOT be able to add your apps to your devices.

In order to do that, you need to purchase the $99/yr iOS Developer account. Which gets you Xcode as part of that.