Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
I encountered a login during the download process, so I'm not sure it's wide-open yet.

P.S. It was: Posted: Jul 7, 2014

I have two logins: a personal one whose paid membership ended earlier this year, and a company one that has an active paid membership right now.

I tried using the personal one, which isn't a paying member right now, and it let me start the download without complaint. It says 12 more minutes before it finishes downloading.

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 603
Original poster
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.
I have two logins: a personal one whose paid membership ended earlier this year, and a company one that has an active paid membership right now.

I tried using the personal one, which isn't a paying member right now, and it let me start the download without complaint. It says 12 more minutes before it finishes downloading.

Yes, that's what I have experienced as a non-paying member.
Apparently it's now an open beta.
Now I have all I need to start working with Swift, except the time to sit down in peace and quiet to do it. :(

----------

I encountered a login during the download process, so I'm not sure it's wide-open yet.

P.S. It was: Posted: Jul 7, 2014

You would still need to register as a Developer (no need to enrolled into a paid program).

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
The download finished and I gave it a quick try. My old example,

Code:
(a, b) = (b, a)

No longer crashes it and, furthermore, it works! So Swift joins Python and other modern languages in having the ability to do easy one line variables swaps without having to write a seperate swap method.

xStep

macrumors 68020
Jan 28, 2003
Less lost in L.A.
So Swift joins Python and other modern languages in having the ability to do easy one line variables swaps without having to write a seperate swap method.

Although a nice to have feature, I can't recall the last time I needed it in my 26 years of production coding. Its importance is minuscule to me. ;)

Last edited:

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Although a nice to have feature, I can't recall the last time I needed it in my 26 years of production coding. Its importance is minuscule to me. ;)

I concur that it is of virtually no importance, but I've heard from multiple people that when they applied for a Python programming position, they were asked to give a one line swap without any functions.

I think in C it's also possible using bitwise XORs (and semicolons to seperate statements)...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.