iPad Pro Xcode for iPad Pro

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Maverick713, Nov 1, 2018.

1. Maverick713 macrumors 6502

With people posting the benchmarks similar to the MBP from last year does anyone think there is a chance apple will release Xcode for iPad?

2. rdowty macrumors 6502a

rdowty

It would be pretty awesome if they did and in some ways makes a lot of sense since the apps you write would run natively on the device and not in a simulator. Having said that even with a 12.9" screen it wouldn't be ideal. I think developers will be one of the last groups of people still using PC's in the future.

3. fishkorp macrumors 68020

fishkorp

There are plenty of developers who use 12" MacBooks as their development device. So the size argument isn't valid for a good number of folks. Ultraportable is way more common these days, especially with a lot of developers not having to be in offices and work remote. I do have an iMac at my desk, but I got rid of my 15" MBP for a 12" MB, and it's only purpose is to develop on.

Steven Troughton-Smith seems to think iOS13 will possibly bring Xcode and other good stuff to the iPad Pros.

4. csurfr macrumors 68020

USB-C. We can always plug it into an UltraFine, and just like the MacBook line, it will stay charged. I’d be a fan for sure.

5. rdowty macrumors 6502a

rdowty

Throw in the ability to extend the display instead of mirror and mouse (or trackpad) support and now we're talking.

6. DNichter macrumors G3

DNichter

I'm not a developer, but I would imagine you would need/prefer mouse support for Xcode? I do think this and other Apple pro apps could be coming in WWDC 19.

7. csurfr macrumors 68020

Oh you definitely want a mouse. Unless you’re a ViM Ninja.

8. DNichter macrumors G3

DNichter

I think trackpad support will come to iOS eventually, but will be limited to certain productivity apps, not system-wide, and will likely not be a mouse. I'd imagine either an Apple trackpad built into the smart keyboard, or you can use an iPhone or something like that.