XCode help required

Discussion in 'Mac Programming' started by CBX, Mar 28, 2011.

1. CBX macrumors regular

May 15, 2007
    Im pretty new to both mac and xcode, so hoping someone here can help out!

I joined the free mac developer program and downloaded and installed xcode 3.2 and ios 4.1 (i think they were the versions) a while ago.

I basically wanted to have a look at creating an app for the iphone.

Anyway, I see xcode 4 is now out, but it seems I cant get it free the same way as I did with xcode 3.2 and have to download it from the app store. Is this correct?

If i get it from the app store then does it come with the ios sdk, or do i have to get that seperate?

Finally, how do I remove 3.2 (xcode) if i go ahead and get xcode 4? I would have no need for 3.2 and have no projects etc i need to keep?
  2. balamw Moderator

Staff Member

Aug 16, 2005
    New England
    See this thread: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1082527

Unless you have already mastered Xcode 3, it's not worth the $5 or $100 to switch to Xcode 4 at this time.

Most resources that can help you learn will be Xcode 3 based for a while now and you will have a hard time following along if you switch now.

What you have will work fine.

3. mfram macrumors 65816

Jan 23, 2010
    San Diego, CA USA
    Yes, XCode 4 comes with the iPhone SDK. There is a file in /Developer which gives instructions on how to remove XCode 3.2.

If you are new to XCode, then it might not be a good idea to switch yet. The XCode 4 interface is different than the XCode 3 interface. If you were already familiar with XCode 3 and how to use Interface Builder, then you can probably figure out XCode 4.

But no current books on Mac/iPhone programming are going to discuss XCode 4. If you don't know the basic concepts then you'll have to translate what the book is saying into how XCode 4 works by trial and error most likely.

Hopefully there will be XCode 4 books on the market soon.
  4. CBX thread starter macrumors regular

May 15, 2007
    Cheers for the replys.

I was thinking about moving to 4 as it looked like it was all in a single IDE rather than seperate ones in 3.2. I thought it may be more like what im used to. Appreciate the feedback though and will probably stick with 3.2 based on it.

The file in /Developer which gives instructions on how to remove XCode 3.2.

I will take a look at this. Is the installation something that wont affect any other parts of the system or will removing xcode have a knock on effect?

As im new to mac I thought it was a case of dragging a file to trash.